I Need Heat in the RootZone ?

OK , the cold weather is upon us again and I am having the same problems , stunted growth due to cold perlite . The solution is usually to move my grow into the house where it is warmer and space is smaller . BUT , I want to keep my bigger space in the shed outback , so , lets hear your ideas . I am currently growing using large pots with Perlite sitting in Kitty Litter trays ,, water when they seem a bit drier .

The air temp is about 25C , perlite temp about 17 C .

So , what other cheap methods would be good to keep the temps up a bit ? Heat mats , Flood and Drain , DWC ????? I dont like flood and drain as it wastes so much nutes .

Toss ya ideas at me please B)

CG

CG the following may help your problem and with a bit of jigging could give you exactly what you want.

1 Go to local soil supply joint and grab yourself a piece of granite(must be granite) about 5kg.

2 Go to electronic supply and grab yourself

A: A 12 V dC element for a 25 watt Scope or Weller soldering iron.

B: A tube of heat sink compound.

C: A stereo loudspeaker volume control (wire wound thingy)

D: A 12 volt 2-2.5 Amp Power supply (transformer for halogens works well)

3 Using a hammer drill and masonry bit of right diameter to drill hole into granite to insert soldering iron element check hole is deep enough and a good fit before going on.

4 Inject some heat sink compound into the hole and then insert the element up to its collar.

5 Cover the wires and seal the element (waterproof it) in with some epoxy (Araldite) leave to dry and harden.

6 Solder together the two top connectors of the volume control and do the same with the two wiper contacts(usually the centre ones)

7 The power supply + connects to the volume control Top and the element connects via the wiper contact(allowing you to adjust the final temp the heater runs at)

8 The power supply - connects to the other side of the element.

9 Place the finished hot rock rock into the perlite and turn on.

It will take a few hours to warm up to temp keep a close eye on it and adjust the temp to suit your needs, a bit of trial and error in a perlite box not being used for growing will allow you to get a handle on how hot it runs. these beasties can run at temps that will cook your plants if you do not get it right. but when you do get them right they can overcome a multitude of problems

B)

Edited by lightning

yeah and when I presented a technology to the office of sustainablity based on the same materials physics they told me I was breaking the laws of physics and it could not work.

That did not stop the prototype of that technology working for the last 15 years for Littlbit and your comment did not stop the prototype of the unit I described working in our green house in Vic in winter either. These units can run at any temp from room temp to 70C at the turn of a knob do not rot and can be immersed in water without danger. wanna see the photos of the prototype? Ever noticed the extra growth you get from any plant that lives against a brick wall heated by the sun during the day. same principle.

I offered a PROVEN technology that could address your issue and you called it silly,.......

like your signature says CG. B)

Edited by lightning