Over fert or under fert?

hey guys, here's the pics. they grew up in jiffy pots and were replanted 5 days ago?

the jiffy's were soaked originally in half strength veg nutes, the coco they were transplanted into was soaked in full strength veg nutes and i started on full strength nutes straight away after transplanting.

the yellowing leaf symptoms of the main plant shown in the pics started in the jiffy pot (they only got rhizotonic at full strength for seedlings).

they are growing rapidly, but i'm worried about the particular one i took pics of.. i took a picture of all of them to show the one on the right side of the pic - the very tips of the leaves are curled down and yellow - is this over fertilisation? i think it is, i watered yesterday with a h20 only solution - ph7.

give us a hand if you can, thanks

post-28757-1242526648_thumb.jpg

post-28757-1242526665_thumb.jpg

post-28757-1242526675_thumb.jpg

post-28757-1242526686_thumb.jpg

its not over fertilizing.. when leaves go yellow from the base up its a nitrogen deficiency..

check your nutes.. make sure theyre veg nutes and not flower.. maybe just ad a little more of the part that contains nitrogen..

check the run off for PH and TDS.. this should give you an idea of whats happening in the medium..

Hi bullseye,

bullseye.......hey guys, here's the pics. they grew up in jiffy pots and were replanted 5 days ago?

the jiffy's were soaked originally in half strength veg nutes, the coco they were transplanted into was soaked in full strength veg nutes and i started on full strength nutes straight away after transplanting.

I don't know if anything except for 'rock-wool cubes' that needs pre-soaking. Certainly no at full strength ever.

SukonmiSkunk ....its not over fertilizing.. when leaves go yellow from the base up its a nitrogen deficiency..

A literally correct interpretation but there is obliviously some over nuting shown by the very top end tips of the leaves burning at the extreme ends. This is relatively new growth bring the last set of fully developed, or newly developed shade leaves (solar pannels) and is a classic sign that it is uptake. Given that you pre-soaked the medium, that the plants are well established and assuming that the root structure is it primary source of obtaining nutrients the plant is in need of a flushing & very good drying out as the roots are delivering excess nutrients..

SS ....check your nutes.. make sure theyre veg nutes and not flower..

check the run off for PH and TDS.. this should give you an idea of whats happening in the medium..

Good outside the square thinking & worth checking it.

SS .....maybe just ad a little more of the part that contains nitrogen..

I wouldn't recommend adding any more nutrients just now but to flush well. You don't inform us about your medium enough . You say Coco and it looks like a small percentage of 'perlite'. Your plants (from group pic) all look healthy enough but i think i spotted some developing "end tip burn" and some "leaf curl" (rams horning) that looks to be ear3ly stages of nutrient burn.

A decent flush is what I would proceed ahead with then commencing at 1/4 strength increasing every second water.

Remember plants with roots are the invisible (subterranean) 1/2 of your plant. Be careful not to drown your plants.

One possible problem i foresee is possibly "how much impregnating and depends on how you achieved this". flushing impregnated nutrients isn't easy & sosmetime if you have just repotted it is easier to jus repot up agaion using fresh nutrients.

Coco will be difficult to eliminate the impregnated nutrients from but not impossible.

all the best

:)

Nitty.

everything you guys have said makes perfect sense to me.

they do have leaf tip burn.

i think what i've done is:

1. let them go for too long without nutes, then

2. hit them too hard with nutes.

as billo said about the roots breaking the jiffys, these little guys were at the 4th set of leaves but i was lucky to see even one root at the bottom of each jiffy, none at the sides.

also some of the jiffy's were pre soaked in water and half strength rhizo, so when i transplanted them, even tho i've pre soaked the coco & PERLITE (sorry for leaving that out :) ;) ) they still went for a week or two without proper nutes, then when the roots break and the jiffy up takes some nutes, it's full strength so.. i'll see how they go with a straight water. most are fine now, very perky, it's just that one that isn't doing great.

thanks for the help guys! solution - flush.

sorry yeah they're coco nutes, both veg and flower combined

Edited by bullseye