Planting on winter solstice?

I plan on starting outdoors on June 21st. That day being the shortest day of the year.

Does that mean the plant will continue to vegetate until the 21st of December being the longest day of the year. Then switch to flowering.

I was wondering because if that is the case, then i will have a plant that vegetates for 6 months, then come flowering it will be big.

Does that mean I will have a monster plant?

cheers

Guest niall

Depends on the photoperiod for that particular strain. Not being a grower others will chime in on this but equatorial strains are more used to 12/12 days as the norm than high latitude strains. At the equator the variation from 12/12 days is minimal compared to Southern Australia or Afghanistan. Some strains may not trigger to flower until nights fall to 12 hours or below 13 hours or below 14 hours or higher.

To maximise vegetative growth you'll want something tolerant to the day:night ratio of your latitude on the solstice. Or far easier: you want to ensure that plants don't get a solid block of uninterrupted darkness - supplemental lighting, maybe a timer turning a light on for a few mins every 3-6 hours, or near a streetlight, or bring it indoors under lights at night. Anything that interrupts the darkness and prevents it from getting the 12+ hours that your particular strain needs to commence flowering.

yea niall is pretty much on the money ... though ive found that in the southern part of the country the average sativa leaning strains start flowering about 2nd week of Febuary ...

also starting in June beware of frosts as they can knock some plants around badly even kill them ... earliest ive started is late August and they went to 10ft before i kinked the tops over a week or two before flowering .. in hindsight i dont think you gain anything by starting so early (in the Southern lattitudes) cause of the low daytime and soil temperatures which are not conducive to fast growth ..

after all Cannabis in Nature usually kicks off in Spring-time as a general rule

and yes you will have a 'jack and the beanstalk' type plant that will prolly be 2-3mts or more unless its specifically bred strain of short statue or is trained down ..

post-1601-1241613205_thumb.jpg

august planted .. april harvest

:thumbsup:

Waiting until spring to plant is a good idea. September is usually a good time. I've started plants in August before and some have begun flowering almost immediately, whilst others veg on through till February. As Niall said, it really is strain dependent.

From seed, a plant started in Nov/Dec can still reach over 2m tall.

I like to use the winter months for plot preparation, and searching for new grow spots ;)