I've never smoked pot: Crean

SIMON Crean may have attended university during the swinging sixties but the Federal Opposition leader says he did not smoke pot.

Unlike former United States president Bill Clinton - who once confessed to smoking marijuana but not inhaling it - the Monash University graduate did not experiment with the drug.

Speaking in support of a NSW trial using cannabis for the treatment of chronic pain, Mr Crean said his asthma, which almost killed him as a young boy, had prevented him from smoking.

Asked directly if he had ever used cannabis, Mr Crean replied: "No I haven't. I'm an asthmatic.

"I always had an aversion, and still do, to any form of smoke."

However, the opposition leader said although he thought the NSW trial was constructive, he would not decriminalise cannabis on a greater scale should he take office.

"No, I wouldn't go that far at all," Mr Crean said.

"But I think this issue needs to be addressed sensibly and I think the initiative announced yesterday by Bob Carr makes sense."

Mr Crean made his comments at a medical centre at Kallangur, north of Brisbane, which he visited to discuss a rapid decline in bulk-billing in the area.

Pushing his policy on increasing rebates for doctors and saving Medicare, Mr Crean said Labor's commitment to Medicare was being noticed by the electorate.

Guest Field_of_Light

Labour has no credible leader..........

Kim Beazley........what a joke..........

He is better than Crean personality wise in the media.........but.........

The :Liberals are just creaming themselves over the division.......

Any h0........I am not voting for either party......Ive had enuff of the bullshit and new taxes....thanks mikie rann for SA newest tax........you motherf#####

All pollies suck I think, and the only thing I like about Simon Crean is his favorite footy club. (Go Roo's)

But in the last few weeks his actions in preventing the Howard Government from giving the Attorney General the power to outlaw any organisation off his (or her) own bat were tyhe best thing he has done.

It was the first time in my life I have ever seen an opposition leader do something useful. But he did, by forcing the parliament to act on the outlawing of Hezbollah he actually safeguarded Australian democracy.

Not that it was even mentioned in the media.

Beazley is a fat slob with a great record - losing 2 elections. crean may be a non entity but at least he led his opposition to do something useful. Beazley has neither the heart nor the mongrel to win an election.

Maybe Crean never smoked but at least the other week he did his job properly.

I wonder if he has ever consumed pot. Perhaps he would prefer cannabutter.

funny how beazley thinks helping your party means bringing it even further to itz knees through a division caused by a two-time fat-assed burger-eating loser......not that i think cream's any good -BUT- put the party before your big fat ego u fat fool! :huh:

whoa that was kinda theraputic! :o

Y'know, I just realised something, this story is kind of ironic... He never smoked pot because he said that his asthma prevented it... And yet it's well know, or at least should be, that cannabis is actually good for asthmatics, as it's a bronchial dialator and expectorant. Maybe someone should send the poor guy a joint or a cookie and then ask how his breathing feels, particularly given the bloody cold winters in canberra!!! ::huh::

Oh, and I agree with you there joe on the hezbollah banning. This has been one of the few things crean has done. If he would only try to prevent the "joint sitting" (read: absolute power for little johnny) bills which will gut the senate's power to review and block legislation.... I'd even consider putting labor 3rd then.... ::o:

Guest Field_of_Light

luke isnt it better these hezbollah nutcases meet and we know where and when they meet and have the chance of filming, recording them.....than them holding clandestine meetings and we find ourselves getting bombed,,,?

Banning doesnt make them disappear.......

woohoo!.......4th cone of the morning brought on a vision!.........i can see it now; Beazley will become oppositon leader again...........with a revolutinary tactic............ he will buy all KFCs in Australia; these will become the new labor party(or Kim's fried chicken outlets) offices - he will be elcted prime minster under the campaign slogan " a finger-lickin share for all Australians... thats what i stand for" - winning all voters over with his 12 secret herbs'n'spices!! :huh: