More Propaganda in 2009

By chance I stumbled upon this research paper and was wondering how we could counter-attack it! It's very in depth and well referenced but it talks about all the usual stuff to scare parents and teenagers. The aim of the report is to encourage the Government to increase awareness of the dangers of cannabis use and introduce campaigns similar to the 'bloody idiot' anti alcohol campaign. It was also written in March this year. Here is the link:

http://www.drugfree.org.au/fileadmin/Media...nnabisPaper.pdf

Maybe we could write up a research paper ourselves in response to this?

Guest niall

It's pretty silly and misrepresents the current body of knowledge throughout.

For a serious retort though we need something like a cannabis/patient advocacy body or association willing to take a public stand on this issue and represent us. Happy to collaborate with anyone willing to dissect this and put something out there, but honestly nobody takes DFA seriously they are a bunch of clowns it's just sad they're now funded by our taxes.

Opinions expressed in this publication are those of the authors and not necessarily those of Drug Free Australia

Ltd

So DFA is a company and not a govt. dept.

The publication contains 'opinions' as opposed to facts?

Further research, perhaps including the judicious use of cannabinoid antagonists

combined with psychological therapies, needs to be explored, instigated and financed.

uh-huh here take these dangerous and suicide inducing drugs in order to help with your cannabis 'problem'?

Clearly, there is a

significant problem when boys aged 9 and 10 are discovered with cannabis in Brisbane schools.

Maybe they started on tobacco and alcohol when they were 5 and 6? :yinyang:

Of interest is the fact that, more than a decade ago, the Australian Bureau of Criminal Intelligence (1993) reported

a THC content in cannabis plants of up to 30%, a substantial increase from the early 60’s when the typical

cannabis joint contained as little as 0.5%.

ORLY?

There are multiple studies that have reached a conclusion in support of the gateway hypothesis (see Kandel, 1992

and 1996; Clayton, 1992; Bailey, 1992; Poikolainen et al, 2001). Specifically, the Centre on Addiction and

Substance Abuse (CASA) at Columbia University found that children who use drugs, including cannabis, are up to

266 times more likely to use cocaine than those who do not use any of the gateway drugs identified (cannabis,

tobacco and alcohol).

Is that indicative of a cannabis trait or a personality disorder?

And maybe they went on to coke because they had to get their MJ from a drug dealer and not down at the local chemist.

Bah I cba reading the rest . :wub:

Yeh Nooby i hear ya!

I scan read the whole thing, its just oozing with hard scientific facts!!??

I agree with what you said more like opinions...

Oh yes and its so very addictive and depressive and suicide causing!!

I have only ever wanted to kill myself once in this life and it was because of

extremely dangerous and potent drugs handed to me by a so called Doctor

without very little if any knowledge of my past , and psychological make - up.

I do agree with some things with reference to youngsters, but as mentioned they prob

were exposed at a very young age to the LEGAL and HARMLESS effects of tobacco, alcohol and

prescription meds!

Sigh- theres my 2 cents worth

catch ya :yinyang:

Umm, Probably letters to newspaper editors. Not many pollies have the balls to do the right thing on this issue or if they do they're usually sold out to the propaganda as are most of the sheeple. Have a read through the chapters here http://www.jackherer.com/chapters.html so that you get more of an idea who and what's behind the whole prohibition thing.

And good luck . :yinyang:

Oh and fibro,

Speaking of dangerous drugs I found this to be worth a watch. It's a doco called 'Making a killing'.

I'm pretty sure it's a legal torrent you can get. It was on youtube but they pulled it.

Edited by Nooby

This sort of propaganda is quoted by persecutors in cases to hang med users.

Does need to be argued by quoting EMPERICAL studies to counter statistics.

Every study they quoted was statistical in nature

The only medical "Studies" published that show negative effects and associations related to Cannabis have been statistical based studies of questionable anecdotal evidence just as these were. Most have been discredited by peer review for lack of consideration for indicators of co-morbidity and/or very small sample populations. And controls/considerations as to strain consumed, growing methods, contamination issues and the like not taken into account at any time in any study.

With alcohol the cause effect for cell damage is clear and well documented with the mechanism for damage clearly established. Conversely the studies in cannabis have established no known mechanism of damage to normal human cells. The only cells found in the human body that cannabis damages are cancer tumour cells

However the studies into the medical efficacy of cannabis to treat many ailments, including controlled double blind studies comparing the efficacy of cannabis to other drugs in treatment of certain conditions have shown Cannabis to be as or more effective than the current front line treatment for those ailment with much less adverse side effects in most cases.

Using Paul Armentos paper on the medical uses of cannabis is probably the best place to start

Thanks for the comments guys, particularly nooby. If I was to go about writing something in protest to this, who would be the best person to send it to?

Try MEDIA WATCH...ABC

This does fall within their coverage.

If you put something together, well researched, annotated and referenced as well as not trying to make it too preachy...

Keep it straight, scientific, sarcasm low...you know..."Just the Facts, Ma'm".....They may run with it on their website...who knows?

my 2cents

muA