New Grower, Problem :(

First grow.

I used thrive seedling mix. All i have been using is distilled water. My light a 100w (I think) cool light cfl. I've had a range of problems.

First my container didn't have drainage. A lot of water built up, i fixed that ;D. Its under constant light. Me (being an impatient prick) put another light on the seedling

( 2 weeks in ) for about an hour. This light witch was facing the plant was a mercury cfl(wattage unknown) about the same time i outlinged the box with alfoil. The result was terrible:

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/898/image037fcu.jpg

I transplanted to a bigger pot. And i should probably restart. But getting new seeds will be a problem. Any advice for next time/what to do now would be appreciative.

Cheers

The photo is terrible. What it pretty much shows in 4 leaves brown and slightly curled and ive used no nutes and the temp would never get to hot where it is atm. So it must be over watering/no nutes/that light/ or something else that im not aware of. Another reason this could be happening. Is that when i transplanted to a larger pot i moved the light twice the distance away from the plant. I doubt it would be the cause of this problem. Edited by LeeLee

I think you overheated the plant, very hard to tell but alfoil is a no no. I think the alfoil turned your box into an oven. Check with a thermometer.

The seedling mix would have nutes, and the plant will last a few weeks without them anyway.

What are you doing for ventilation?

What size is your box?

ph is also quite important, but I don't think that is the cause of your problems.

I also wouldn't bother with the distilled water, rain water is best and tap water is fine.

The best advice I can give is keep asking questions and don't give up. Get some more seeds and have another crack lol

I had plants that sat in water and root rot (Brown roots) was my problem. I fixed the problem by ripping them out of the pots, left them on the floor for 2 days and then re-potted but removed a lot of the roots.

Now I did this in frustration and hate and was going to let them die but had a change of heart and thought they could grow while I waited agian for seeds to start. So not saying this will work but mine turned out good.

This was my first try. And defiantly not my last. I dont think it overheated because ventilation was very good. I plan on gettin some ph checkers just in case. i doubt i could rescue it but i will still try. My plant didnt stay in the water that long ( only 2days ) and roots weren't that well developed.

Hi LeeLee,

It is right that the reflection from the foil causes plants to get Heat spots. Flat white paint is good.

Che .... I had plants that sat in water and root rot (Brown roots) was my problem. I fixed the problem by ripping them out of the pots, left them on the floor for 2 days and then re-potted but removed a lot of the roots.

It's hard to fix or rescue a wee one from that of damage.

LeeLee .....The photo is terrible.
..................don't let that stop you LeeLee.

This was my first try. And defiantly not my last. I dont think it overheated because ventilation was very good. I plan on gettin some ph checkers just in case. i doubt i could rescue it but i will still try. My plant didnt stay in the water that long ( only 2days ) and roots weren't that well developed.

Your little one has had a hard time of it. "Where there is green ther is life". Being realistic you have an up hill battle. Best not to over anything (ie water, nutrients, heat, even light). Often caring to much can be a trap.

when germinating read up on "the paper towel method". Have all the pots & nutrient mix (medium/compost) & water at the ready when you germinate your next lot of seeds. You have gotten past level 1 by germinating.

Lighting for young plants is important once they get to the stage your at with this little fellow. If you need to use CLF's (compact fluro's) go for cool whites at the highest wattage you can get hold of. Advantages are they are relatively cheap and don't cost much in electricity to run. A big disadvantage is that the "light spectrum" emitted is not sufficient to make good flowering (if at all) when the time comes.

It's your first go & your determined. :D

You will get better and better every time lol

Read read ...suggested keywords ............plant lighting & environment's (heat. moisture, light)

goodluck LeeLee,

lol

Nitty.

Aiight i've read multiple grow diaries. And researched thoroughly. How close should the cool white(witch is the one im using) how close should it be to my sprouters?

Should i flush it even when it is in this delicate stage?

A boost of miracle grow or nutes would be beneficial when recovering from this? (I know i know, when in doubt just use water)

Funny that you should mention germination because that was an uphill battle(finding and germinating seeds, only to get 1 to work and it fail on me so spectacularly.

hi again

Aiight i've read multiple grow diaries. And researched thoroughly.

Bull shit ! :D

Chill - do you remember ? What did you learn ?

How close should the cool white(witch is the one im using) how close should it be to my sprouters?

You do the "old 'plam test"" to get it at the right height.

'Read more .................using key words search "

Should i flush it even when it is in this delicate stage?

No don't you think it is a little on the overly dam side now ? Water logging will cause the roots to suffocate and drown. lol

A boost of miracle grow or nutes would be beneficial when recovering from this? (I know i know, when in doubt just use water)

Too right and when in doubt about using water do nothing.

Funny that you should mention germination because that was an uphill battle(finding and germinating seeds, only to get 1 to work and it fail on me so spectacularly.

Funny stuff eh ! I mention it to provide you with a 'key word' which is "paper towel method"

If you must 'do something' carefully replant the litten into fresh new seedling compost. Water in & wait (the hard bit).

Better is my advice to do nothing - especially adding nuts or water !

lol

Nitty.