Seedlings in bad shape - what to do?

This is my first attempt at growing so I'm rather unsure of the right steps to take and what to look out for. I've done all the basics, sterilise, pH neutral water, rhyzo and 18/6 lighting but the plants look like their growth is somewhat stunted and going downhill. I flush the water almost every day.

There are two batches of plants in the dome, the bigger ones are 2 weeks older than the smaller ones. Rockwool cubes started showing signs of blackish spots so I transplanted them into new rockwool and they're leaves started to turn yellow..

Please advice on what I should do now to salvage them.

post-25943-1240248699_thumb.jpg

:(

G'day Muffin Man,

Welcome to OzStoners , I hope you learn alot and enjoy :freak:

As for your little seedlings over there ... well I'd agree with Fraz ... Probably the most common problems occur with seedlings due to Overwatering and/or Overfeeding ... I always try to keep my seedlings with "just enough" water , although excessive damp won't neccisarily harm all seedlings It's better to be safe than sorry Imo :peace:

Also I would agree to transplant into their new homes (pots/medium) asap :)

And watch out for that suspicious looking fly (see Pic) , it looks dodgy and I think may be plotting against you :D

Aside from that , looks like you have a good setup going ... all the best for the rest :(

Cheerz,

Budman B)

Edited by Budman2012

Hi, muffin.

Frazzle pretty much hit the nail on the head, the only thing that I will add is the best way to get a more consistent success rate is to have automated system. I personally like a flood and drain system for clones and seedlings.

A couple of these tubs is all u need http://justhydroponics.com.au/products/45_...Tub-765-31.html drill a whole in the center of the top tub, big enough for 13mm poly to fit through wack on a 'T' piece on one end and connect the other end to a small pump. Drill 4 tiny holes in the corners of the top tub for drainage, then add in a aquarium heater a small aerator and stone and throw the pump on a timer and thats it u now have a flood and drain clone kit. :freak:

You will thank me in the long run.

OK my seed raising experience, little but seems to work.

Soak the blocks in PH 5.5 for a few hrs first. Then do your cuttings but only feed with PH 5.5 water for the first 5 days. This is because the new roots coming thru are easily burnt and a small amount of nutrient can damage them. In the first 5 days I only feed them about twice +/-, just enough to see the block expand a bit.

I have been told to use a sup like Gen a root, but haven't as yet and strike rate has been 100% so far.

On day 5 soak the blocks in PH 5.5 water again and allow a 1min standing to remove old gasses that are around the root zone. These gases if not removed can cause alot of damage and the roots may struggle.

After day 6 use a very weak, half strenght mix and keep the blocks moist, never wet.

Good luck.

thanks for the feedback fellas, just potted them this arvo and hoping for the best. 50/50 coco peat and potting mix.

I find Coco 60% and Perlite 40% a good mix. Holds enough fluid and allows good drainage as well it is a very forgiving medium if you underwater or overwater.