Sexing, and questions on mother plants

Mr Putard Posted on May 20 2003, 06:47 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

G'day, I read somewhere on the net couple of weeks ago that reverting to veg from flowering damages the genetics of the plant... anyone heard this also? 

You cannot damage a plants genes (genotype) by re-vegging. You can reduce it's potential, (phenotype) because the plant may stress during the process. But to actually damage the genetic code would require either irradiation of some sort, or colchicine treatment. I can't think of any other way, short of genetic engineering, but even then you would be altering the plant before it grows, not after it is established. The environment generally will not have any effect on the plants genetics, only the way those genetics are expressed, due to limitations in the environment.

Did that make sense? :blink: Where did you see this claim, Mr Putard? B)

stress can cause a plant to show recessive genes. this is usually what happens when a plant goes hermy. the male recessive gene shows.

As for picking a mother, choose the fattest yielder if no other interesting traits stick out. I prune my mother plants back to 15cm or so and take clones at about 25cm. I rootprune about every 3 months, but tip pruning nearly every day. I just don't let em grow unless I'm gonna need them. Which isn't often. I usually replace mothers every year or so, as the middle of the plant tends to become empty braches as it runs out of new growth sites.

For mother clones I prefer a piece of plant that has already been tipped and has many growth sites at the side. These plants will be bushier and lower then a plant with one central growth tip.

hey WC can you please tell me what size pot you keep your mums in i was having a look at this link http://www.overgrow.com/iss3/mums.html .he uses small pots wich i like the sound of. is there anything you could add to what he has to say about the way he dose it.im not looking at keeping 100 mums B) .but but a few of the good strains i find would be good to keep around.happy herb. :blink:

Mr Putard Posted on May 20 2003, 06:47 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

G'day, I read somewhere on the net couple of weeks ago that reverting to veg from flowering damages the genetics of the plant... anyone heard this also? 

You cannot damage a plants genes (genotype) by re-vegging. You can reduce it's potential, (phenotype) because the plant may stress during the process. But to actually damage the genetic code would require either irradiation of some sort, or colchicine treatment. I can't think of any other way, short of genetic engineering, but even then you would be altering the plant before it grows, not after it is established. The environment generally will not have any effect on the plants genetics, only the way those genetics are expressed, due to limitations in the environment.

Did that make sense? :blink: Where did you see this claim, Mr Putard? B)

I think i read this when I was doing a search on google for some info on g13... probably cannabinoid.com or somewhere.... but it was a breeder narating something about what he does when breeding.... it was a good read...