Cannabis Smoke Condensate II: Influence of Tobacco on Tetrahydrocannab

Smokin Moose

Question

Cannabis Smoke Condensate II: Influence of Tobacco on Tetrahydrocannabinol Levels

Authors: Van der Kooy, F.1; Pomahacova, B.1; Verpoorte, R.1

Source: Inhalation Toxicology, Volume 21, Number 2, February 2009 , pp. 87-90(4)

Abstract:

Medicinal cannabis has attracted a lot of attention in recent times. Various forms of administration are used, of which smoking is very common but the least desirable. Smoking cannabis generates a large amount of unwanted side products, of which carcinogenic compounds are the most dangerous. A common practice among recreational drug users, and to a lesser degree patients who uses cannabis as medicine, is to mix the cannabis material with commercially available tobacco in order to increase the burning efficiency of the cigarette and to reduce the overall costs of the cigarette. In this study cannabis material has been mixed with tobacco in order to determine whether tobacco has an influence on the amount of and ratio between tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), cannabigerol (CBG), and cannabinol (CBN) administered while smoking. A small-scale smoking machine has been used and cannabis mixed with various ratios of tobacco was smoked. The trapped smoke was quantitatively analyzed by high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) and the amount of THC, CBG, and CBN was determined for each cigarette. We have found that tobacco increases the amount of THC inhaled per gram of cannabis from 32.70 ± 2.29 mg/g for a 100% cannabis cigarette to 58.90 ± 2.30 mg/g for a 25% cannabis cigarette. This indicates that tobacco increases the vaporization efficiency of THC by as much as 45% under the conditions tested.

Document Type: Research article

DOI: 10.1080/08958370802187296

Affiliations: 1: Division of Pharmacognosy, Section of Metabolomics, Institute of Biology, Leiden University, Leiden, The Netherlands

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/apl/...000002/art00001

Also those who smoke thier weed with baccy do it to smooth the smoke out when you exhale true? but isnt there a saying cough to get off? dosnt coughing open your lungs out more therefore causing the thc or whatever to enter the blood stream at a faster rate?

which in turn is fair enuff not everyone wants to go through a coughing fit everytime they have a billy or two but everyone has their own ways and good on em. each to thier own...

I think you need to go back and re-read the first post in this thread.

Any smoker knows that properly grown, dried, and cured bud is smoother on the lungs than shitty weed mixed with tobacco. Also, there is a myth that coughing gets you off. In fact, coughing after smoking is not good for your lungs at all.

I knew this would generate debate, but the majority view is that tobacco is an unnecessary and risky additive to cannabis. From the medical aspect. tobacco is a proven carcinogen, so I will never add tobacco, even if it increases the uptake of THC.

I think you need to go back and re-read the first post in this thread.

Any smoker knows that properly grown, dried, and cured bud is smoother on the lungs than shitty weed mixed with tobacco. Also, there is a myth that coughing gets you off. In fact, coughing after smoking is not good for your lungs at all.

I knew this would generate debate, but the majority view is that tobacco is an unnecessary and risky additive to cannabis. From the medical aspect. tobacco is a proven carcinogen, so I will never add tobacco, even if it increases the uptake of THC.

perhaps you should read my first post that i put up in this thread the one you read was a second part of the first couldnt be bothered editing the first one. correct me if im wrong.

thanks.

Mos...

i was just asking if people find that they get stoned for longer than smoking with baccy i find i do thats all...

Yes I find I get stoned longer if I don't use baccy. I have recently cut down my mixing alot and now I go around 1 cig to a quarter ounce, so I still get a slight instant hit but also get the creeping up hits and stronger/longer high.

hah, wow i knew it helped it burn better but that is crazy, another thing i would likle too see it the difference in burning efficiency when people chop with scissors, hand chopper or mull-o-matic. each one fluffs the buds out differently and it is obvious from looking inside the bong after smoking scissor chopped buds that it isnt burning properly (can see green floaties)

also, there are a lot of other variables that i feel should have been taken into account, using regular tobbaco or rollie tobacco as i am about 99% sure that the buds burn even better with rollie tobacco as spin as they tend too stick for longer..

edit: just realised that you were talking about smoking joints, but never the less my points are still valid.

seen

irey reasoning

imho

strictly organic tobacco is a must

grow your own is de best

everytime

but there are some organic and spray free varieties available as sub if you run out

lotza variables

atru

i dont chop at all

i extract all the hash oil and mix it with tobbacco when i want to smoke it

irey guidance

HAHA I knew it! I had a heated debate with this guy from school about this a couple years ago.

WOOT! Feels good to be right. Even more satisfying is the fact that's he's wrong! haha

Anyway.... I don't agree that rolling baccy is better, it tastes like shit! Like it completely ruins the weed taste.

But yes, if you have enough supply, much better to smoke unadulterated.