Sexing your Plant

Hi Guys,

It occoured to me that after searching this forum, there is no discussion dedicated to Plant Sexing.. So I figured and I have questions that I need to ask, as I am sure others do also..

And seeing there is a wealth of knowleadge out there, how about some of you share a few pix, and give some examples for us less knowledgable to learn from....

Thanks Guys

- Merv

Edited by merv

The best way I know of that doesn't risk turning your plants into hermies:

Take a couple of clones (cuttings) off each plant, label them so that you know which plant they came from and veg them for a couple of weeks or so under a compact fluoro or two. When they all start showing signs of growth switch them to 12/12 and within a few weeks you will know which plants to and keep which ones to get rid of.

It occoured to me that after searching this forum, there is no discussion dedicated to Plant Sexing.. So I figured and I have questions that I need to ask, as I am sure others do also..

It has been discussed at several points but not enough to justify a forum of its own. There are links to pictures of males and hermies in my signature.

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/ruinkai/coolgleamA.gif

I am growing from seed right now Merv.

I tried putting a light proof paper bag over one of the lower/smaller branches on each plant to see if it would show signs of sex. I kept these branches in 12/12 for 10 days but I still couldn't tell what sex they were by then, maybe it was to soon? I have heard of this meathod working for others though.

In the end I noticed that nearlly all my female plants were showing pre flowers at the 4 - 6th node while still in veg so I kept by best looking females and chopped the rest. I'm now in week 1 of 12/12 with 2 good looking fems from seed.

Another way is to take a cutting from one of the lesser branches and then root it as you would a clone, one rooted you can put it straight in to flower to determine the sex. Do this for each plant and you'll know what to bin and what to keep.

Buster.

Sorry to repeat what Tom has just said,  I think we must have been posting at the same time  :P

Buster.

Don't worry about it, it happens on occasion and I just look on it as one member confirming another member's post.

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/ruinkai/coolgleamA.gif

Howdy,

When I germ seeds, I germ 3-4 packets of seed at a time, usually 2 good ones and 1 cheap packet. Then I put 36 of em in 140mm pots, and put em in a 90x90cm tray under 600w. I cut the lights at about 2 ft (depending on strain, some sativas flowered from seed.). And double pot the females after sex has shown into 16 200mm pots then take clones of females just after sex has shown.

It has been discussed at several points but not enough to justify a forum of its own. There are links to pictures of males and hermies in my signature.

I did notice snippits of info around Tom, and have looked at your links several times.. I just thought seeing I was a new grower, and there are other new growers out there, that its prolly a topic that deservers a forum of its own...

Speaking of that, I was emailed this link by another ozstoners member.. ( thanks Clonehead ) It shows close up pix of the " V " that sols mentioned....

Looks like I'll need to wait until my baby is a little older, clone her, and hope she is actualy a female !

---------------------------------------

*** Freeze the WEED man , its a kool HIGH ***