Ghetto Bongs

yo i dunno if this is the right section sorry if its not

anyway my friends and i only have access to a glass bong on rare occasions

so we have to make our own now i am good at making them and i have a proper stem and conepiece but my m8 who is pretty knowledgeable said that there are extra chemicals in a plastic made bong making it very unhealthy compared to a glassy

my question is does anyone know for sure or have any articles that can Prove or Disprove him

... even if it is true unfortunately there is no way at the moment that I'm gonna be getting a glassy any time soon due to lack of funds and storage of such device

wouldn't go with plastic. that's why a lot of plastic containers say 'microwave safe'...the ones that aren't release all kinds of nasty chemicals if they're put in there. well that and they also melt.

back in highschool, i remember some dudes showed me how to make a bong out of a coke can. i dunno if that's any safer though. a friend told me that metal also releases chemicals. but then again it's not like you're doing this for regular use, just like a one or two time thing. i think it's fine for that.

Plastics esp PVCs exude toxic chemicals and carcinogens when heated, A coke can is safer than plastic bottle as aluminium will not react and produce problem chemicals until a much higher temperature than can be achieved with the presence of water in a bong, Never use plastic or copper pipe for the stem or bowl as copper interacts with the burning vegetable matter producing dangerous chemicals. Cold drawn Brass and stainless steel are the best with Aluminium third. Body of pipe try glass, stainless, brass, or porcelain/pottery are all inert and therefore safe. Do not use blue tack to seal stem to body as it too exudes toxins at room temperature, better to use modelling clay(Plasticine) available from any newsagent or a vulcanised rubber grommet.

Hope that helps, stay safe