cloning substrate?

hey guys just a few questions:

looking at flower power today and i couldn't find rockwool anywhere, the best i could find was coconut fibre. i was wondering if anyone knows how well this works as a propogation substrate?

also ph lowering products.. ? i haven't been able to find them? i've heard getting them from a fish store is no good and i couldn't see any at flower power.

the only alternative i have as a substrate for cloning besides coconut fibre was perlite and vermiculite.. just wondering what i'd be best with?

maybe you guys know a good hydroponics store in sydney? or a good place to get some proper materials.

hey i could also get those peat pelet cubes that enlarge when you soak them in water. i found them.. what do you guys think?

cheers=)

Edited by bullseye

hi there , for PH up i use bicarb soda and PH down i use white vinegar , only little bits at a time untill your know what is needed . the best i have found is jiffy pellets (soaked in weak seaweed juice) but you can use both vermiculite and perlite , you can even mix them if you want .

vermiculite hold more water than perlite so allways remember that when you use them. best and cheapest (were live anyway) is jiffy pellets #7s..

the bean...

Edited by hashbean

nice! home based ingredients=) how much vinegar would you recommend hashbean - are you talking 5ml per litre or 5ml per cup?

and is there anything harmful in coconut fibre that anyone is aware of? does it offset ph balances or is this a good medium? otherwise i'll take hashbeans advice and look at getting vermiculite cuz i don't know what jiffy pellets are haha.. too new to this. and what about ph test kits? where can i get cheap ones of those? pool shop?

thanks for all the help guys.. pardon my ingorance

it would all depend on what your PH for the jucie is , just add little bit at a time and test it untill you find what works for you , i have never use coconut fibre so im not sure about that one , you can test by watering it with your juice and than test the run off for its PH value.

jiffy pellets are sold at hardware shops and garden shops or i like to get from ebay here some i found in australia.

http://shop.ebay.com.au/items/__jiffy-pell...Q_nkwuscZpelets

PH strips work but its much easyer to get a PH pen (ebay) or i think you have a shop in australia called dick smith

good luck with it

THE BEAN...