Leaf Tips Discolored and Curling

I’m hoping someone here can help me out.

I’ve got 9 Northern Light plants in a DWC system that are into their second week of the 12/12 light regime.

Current Conditions:

2 Gallon Bucket

PH 5.8

GH 3 Part Nutes – 1.5ml/3ml/6ml per 10L (Could this amount cause nute burn)

Under 400w HPS

They have been fine until two days ago when I found that the blade tips (only) of four leaves have discolored to a brown – yellow color and started to curl (Up and Twisty). The curled discolored tips look dead and dry but when touched they still seem soft, as if only stained.

Otherwise the plants are very green and healthy looking with hairs bursting out everywhere.

After reading through the rollitup FAQ on nute disorders, I can only find three pics that are similar, BUT not one is exactly the same as my leafs.

Potassium Deficiency – The closest resemblance

Magnesium Deficiency – BUT Only the “dry looking” parts are curling.

Heat Stress – Plants have adequate airflow.

I’m now clueless…

heya klunk :uhhuh: .. please can you show us some photos of the plants/ leaves cause as you say no other photos show what your leaves are like ... a picture tells a thousand words ... then you will get so much better and accurate answers to your problem cause there is a huge pool of knowledge here and someone will recognise it by sight, so we want to give you the most bestest diagnosis for your girls hey ... :D :D :D :thumbsup:

:peace:

ganga gardeners golden rule

flush first

and

check for inscet infeststion

do you know how to flush???????????

check for instructions on the nutrient bottles

irey guidance

Learnt that rule a while back. :blink: Flushed the system before posting, even cleaned bucket and airstone. Bugs? Don’t think so… They’ve learnt to stay away from my grow by now :peace:

Decided yesterday to add 2.5ml of Bloom (to the original ratio) to a fresh mixture of nutes and I’m glad to report that there is no new leaves discoloring or curling :disguise: but the damaged leaves are showing no signs of improvement (will chop them today and watch for new problems). :thumbsup:

Thanks all… I will try to post a pic on Monday caus I aint got my memory stick with me. >:(

irey Klunk

forward ever

Decided yesterday to add 2.5ml of Bloom (to the original ratio) to a fresh mixture of nutes and I’m glad to report that there is no new leaves discoloring or curling

irey

that seems to point to normal feeding

ideally

the aim is to

try to change the nutrient solution the day before the first signs of plant suffering

seen

from day 1

the plant takes up each nutrient from the solution,

at different rates,

same in different stages of growth too.

with each feed this causes the NPK patio to fluctuate within the nutrient solution

each nutrient level rises and falls in the sollution

after some time will even reach dangerous levels to become reactive with each other and

cause a massive crop fail. over night

this is the first sign that

you could loose the lot

seen

the safest way to manage this problem is to flush the plant root zone with pure water around 7PH

keep pouring the pure water in the top of the root zone

drain it all to waste

till all the water that runns out the bottom of the root zone------------->100%clear

stop

you have now finished the flush

next

have a fresh solution at half the recomended strength at the ready.

and use it for the rest of the first day after the flush.

then for the second day

make up a fresh

full strength solution

and follow the recomended plan from there

a flush is recomended once a week in most hydro systems

or

at the first sign of plant distress

the damaged leaves are showing no signs of improvement (will chop them today and watch for new problems).

they wont recover

true

but they do still perform a service for the plant

they will serve as a warehouse to store some nutrients till they are needed elsewhere

recycling the already processed nutrients

then they will be transported to the site and used

eg if the plant is stressed

damaged leaves become a safety buffer

there is another factor to consider

damaged leaf can be more susceptable to attack by secondary infections

eg like mould if the conditiond are right for mould to grow

than surgery may very well be the best option

irey guidance

i have found that when you got a sick plant on your hand the last thing you wont to go and do is pluck its leafs off and give it more stress

this will corse what ever problem you got to start with to spread quicker to the rest of the plant

as Radic said the damage leafs still have some use to the plant so i would leave them on untill they fell of, unless you can see millions of bugs on them too