Health service says more cannabis users seeking help

grace

Question

Cannabis users on the New South Wales north coast are turning to treatment in increasing numbers.

In 2008, the region's area health service treated 831 people - up 21 per cent from the previous year.

There are currently three cannabis clinics across the region at Kempsey, Lismore and Tweed Heads and also outreach services.

John Leary from the area health service says users of the drug are treated quite separately from other drug and alcohol clinics and the process is working well.

"We try to work out what the objective is with each individual client," he said.

"Some people come in and say, 'I want to stop completely', probably more often than not that's what they say to us.

"Other people say that they would like to cut down a bit, so we tailor the treatment to whatever their request is."

Author: ?

29 January 2009

Source: ABC News

Copyright: 2009 ABC

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/01/29/2477501.htm

6 answers to this question

These people rockin' up to the clinic, mustn't have heard of "will power" 'n hoping for some magic pill to be handed out. Then again, it's not too long before these clinics will be looking for more funding.

Out of my previous addictions (alcohol, nicotene), cannabis doesn't even rate on the scale. Maybe i'm just one of the lucky ones. ^_^

:freak:

These people rockin' up to the clinic, mustn't have heard of "will power" 'n hoping for some magic pill to be handed out. Then again, it's not too long before these clinics will be looking for more funding.

Out of my previous addictions (alcohol, nicotene), cannabis doesn't even rate on the scale. Maybe i'm just one of the lucky ones. ^_^

^_^

Me too. I have no problems stopping when I take a break. If you want to give up, just stop. It really isn't that hard. Nicotine on the other hand is a nightmare to quit. Alcohol isn't that easy either.

The authorities create this perceived problem of cannabis addiction, set up clinics, get funding and keep themselves employed. Similar to the NCPIC parasites. :freak:

Cannabis users on the New South Wales north coast are turning to treatment in increasing numbers.

In 2008, the region's area health service treated 831 people - up 21 per cent from the previous year.

This sort of flies in the face of Miranda Bovines claim that the War on Drugs is being won :thumbsup:

No doubt an attempt to drum up more funding.

Ol boy always used to say, stay away from anything that ends in 'i-n-e'.

I'm with Indy an Freddie there plus caffeine which is harder to stop than cannabis...

Don't think there is any treatment for cannabis withdrawal tho? Be just brainwashing them right?

Hope they don't stuff these kids with antidepressant pills. :applause: