Setting up a recirculated hydroponic system

Hey Ringus,

I haven't seen SukonmiSkunk around much to answer your Q. But I'll let you know what I do.

Now, ya feeding depends a fair bit on ya medium. If you are using coco coir more water is retained in the fibre than perlite, so coco coir needs less watering.

I'm using perlite with a 4-6 inch layer of clayballs at the base of the pot, so its fairly free flowing. Due to this I water 15min/hr, every hr. My pump runs at 100ltr/hr, so its getting 25ltr in 15 min and this is all recirced. I flush my recirc water and system fortnightly, replenish fresh.

Hope that answers your Q

Hey Delta,

For many of us indoor growers height is a problem and although I use a pump to get my fluid to the top of my pot, from there its all gravity return to my heart. If I had my returns at the top of my heart I would need to elevate my pots above that level to get my fluids to return. This would then lessen the area for the plant to grow into. So IMHO the lower the better.

Merl1n

• Upvote 1

I get that there is always a height issue, I was talking more about it leaving fluids in the pot plant area and hose because the pressure between the two system. I was thinking it maybe keeping  the area moist which may lead to root rot is all I'm getting at.

If the outlet on the pot is higher than the top of the water level in the res, gravity will drain the water back to it.

How can you be right and I be wrong? Basic physics proves I'm right! Here's a simple experiment, get a clear container, the same grommet and hose fitting and clear hose. Now drill and fit the grommet, hose and fitting as you would the nutrient tank, down the bottom. Now fill with water while holding up the hose and what you will see is the water not only filling the container, it fills up the hose as well. Now, stop filling the container half way and slowly move the top of the hose to the water level (some water may come out so be careful!) and put your thumb over the opening of the hose creating a seal. Keep your thumb in place and slowly move the hose to above the water line in the container. Notice that the water level in the pipe is now above the water level!!! This is what my original question is about, where an airlock could form and water ends up sitting in the perlite causing root rot. Merl1n explanation is why you may do that type of system, but it has it's flaws as well. I never said you were wrong, just that it wasn't correct as it doesn't fully drain back into the tank as you keep saying, it still retains some in the hose. I will be trying the way I suggested at try to see how low the bottom bucket has to be before it's doesn't drain properly.

• Oz unpinned this topic