growlight fire hazard

Hey guys and girls,

I was thinking about starting to grow in my room. I was planning on buying a small grow tent and a 400w hps light with an inbuilt ballast. I was just wondering if using this light in my room with all my other electrical equiment would cause the circuit to overload? I have four power points in my room with my computer equipment and tv taking up two plugs. If I used the other two plugs in my room only for my growlight and intake fans would this be too much on the circuit of the room. Just dont want to start a fire now. My knowledge of electricty and circuits isn't to good.

Cheers for any help.

You should be sweet mate. Make sure you spread your cables evenly between your two available power outlets and dont piggyback too many plugs (use powerboards). Also use a good quality heavy duty timer for the 400, standard timers can and will fail. You lessen the chance of fire with your ballast outside of the tent. Have fun, soda. :thumbsup:

even el-cheapo powerboards have built in surge protection so as someone already said use these- i agree to i try to spread the power load where possible between outlets however often power outlets in one room join to the same line anyway.

I have ran fans filters and 2 x 600 watt HPS through one power point before, silly, yes, but it was ok so your single 400 should be sweet. to put it in perspective a vacuum can draw 2400 watt when running.

Edited by danoz