I have been doing a lot of intensive reading lately because I have finally got a plant in. Today I brought an OSRAM NAV T 600W HPS, highly recommended by a hydro shop guy, very reputable South Australian Hydroponic store. He reckons it is pretty much the best flowering lamp on the market. I don't doubt him but I kind of worry that it may just produce big tight buds that are not reaching there true potential in potency. After all were farming Trichomes not plant matter right?

According to some of the articles I have read, cannabis produces a lot of Trichomes when under stress from UVB like what is found at high altitude, and near the equator. Supposedly blue spectrum lighting like what is in greater amounts in Metal Halide lights has some UVB in it unless I'm mistaken. I was talking to an old Adelaide grower and he swears by mixing metal halide and HPS, reckons it frosts the buds up and makes them more potent, especially if you keep the humidity as low as possible. The problem is, I'm growing in a wardrobe and metal halide lights create a lot of heat apparently, something I don't need anymore of at the moment. I know one option is fluro's but in my searches I came across something interesting. I'd like to see what you lot think, maybe some of you do it already but its new to me.

I found a site that caters for reptile owners that had a heap of UV lights. What do you think of this light.

The Exo Terra Repti Glo 10.0 has a very high UVB output similar to that associated with desert environments.

Ideal for animals that regularly bask in direct sun

Provides necessary UVB rays for optimal calcium metabolism

effective up to 50 cm

Recommended in combination with Repti Glo 2.0 for a higher visual light output

http://www.herpshop.com.au/Lighting.html

Now maybe I'm been led down the wrong track here but if what I have read about UVB and potency is true, these lights used as a supplement with the HPS would surely help wouldn't they? They are 26w compact fluro's so wouldn't create much heat and you could use a fair few of them around the plant, keep them nice and close. What are your thoughts folks? maybe there's something already out there more suited for growing I don't know?

I looked further and found this on same site.

Aussie Sun Mercury Vapour Bulb

A "dual tube" (no filament) high intensity mercury vapour bulb. Producing high levels of UVA & UVB. Two sizes available, 100watt & 160watt, producing heat & light from the one bulb as almost as natural as the Aussie sun.

Unlike the fluor tubes that radiate U.V. in inches, these far superior bulbs radiate in feet.

Sounds even better but no good for me, wardrobe and all. Could be good with for someone with a room..

EDIT: Link to one source of information about potency UV etc

http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/2159.html

Edited by bloodshot_eyes

I have read mixed reviews on UVB reptile lights...

From most posts I have read growers are happy with the results

they had with others saying no improvement.

I want to give it a try cause the theory seems sound,

resin is the plant sun screen more uv more sun screen needed

Cheers. :scratchin:

I've read a lot of threads across the net regarding these reptile lights tonight, I'm pretty keen to give it a shot, next grow maybe. So I can set it up right. One thing that stood out was a couple of people mentioning putting it on for 6 hours during the middle of your 12/12 cycle. 3 hours in, swithch on. 9 hours in, switch off. This makes sense cos it kind of imitates nature. You just have to look at a UV chart for Australian cities to see the peak in the middle of the day. The further north the city, the longer the duration as well as the intensity. Just compare Darwin to Hobart. I guess you could decrease the hours as you near harvest, to mimic the fading UV levels of the autumn sun. Interesting shit thats for sure.