planting mid January

well its never too late in my book ... of course thats very simplistic

it depends on so many variables but if you plant in mid january plants are just appearing by febuary then first 4 wks of plants' life is juvenille, simple growth ... but if you had 50-100 of them at that age an they went to flower you would be a happy chappy come harvest i reckon :wacko: ...

most mature plants go to flower around mid-late febuary and harvest early may in you area, from what i understand?,

but you are talking young plants @ a month old .. they may want to grow longer before switching to flower which would be even better ...

hey if the grow spot gets full sunlight all day , do it .. :scratchin: ... an if it turns to shit ya can blame me for suggesting it :blink: ..

>:(

Planting outside is great this time of year, just be very very generous with the water if the temps in your area are 30+ and above regularly. Water saver crystal stuff too....

Yeah, got them in pots about 5 days ago, had a few issues with heat, but the roots have taken off, so I think I'm in the clear now.

Don't have much experience growing outdoors, so gonna trust you guys that it won't kick in to flower to early. Still a bit paranoid about it though cause last time I grew outdoors they started flowering in early January.

Hopefully they'll work it out, thanks guys.

Edited by jabez

Ok, thought I’d do a follow up for just for reference for anyone that’s going to try planting late in Victoria, basically because I’m bored out of my mind waiting for my new iphone update to download before I go on my little holiday, bloody dial up!

Anyway, firstly I used nirvanas northern lights. I know bad choice for an outdoor grow, but that’s what I went with. I put them in on the 18th of January and at first there growth rate past expectations. That’s until the males started showing sex in March, 7 of the bushiest and healthiest plants were male and I was only left with 3 females, but that doesn’t have anything to do with me or the environment. Then the next problem I had is the females didn’t start showing sex till April, don’t know if it was cause they are a indoor strain and just flipped out or if it was cause I planted late and they were just trying to stretch us much as possible. But the temperature starts dropping (especially at night) around that time down here and they didn’t like it. They did alright for a while, but the flowers just never ended up going anywhere, I don’t think it was cause of the greenhouse I had them in, cause I put one of them out for a while and it didn’t responded well at all, gained a mold problem and I bought it back in to the greenhouse.

Anyway, when it comes down to it the potential of starting a grow late in the season in Victoria is probably there since I finished with a few 1.2 meter plants, just fuck all bud.

If I had of been more intelligent in choosing the strain, I think I’d probably still be tokin on some nice home grown still, live and learn. So yeah, I’d say you can do it you just need to be very careful with the strain you choose.

Or even better, either move north or just go indoor in Victoria, :thumbdown:.

:)

G'day Jabez,

All sounds pretty standard to me .. and I haven't been to Victoria since I was about 4 btw :peace:

January is full on Summer is it not? even in Victoria? heheh , and for whatever "ungodly" reason they decide also to hold the Australian Tennis Open in this month down there I believe :toke: heheh , see those athletes sweat.

Anyhoo , Tennis aside ... December and January should be an excellent time to plant some Cannabis plants in any part of Australia I would think ...

Ofc Spring is a great time to plant but during the whole of Summer the "Mullies" should absolutely thrive ^_^

For the Males to show their sex in March and the Females not to show until April is not at all strange ... The Males will generally always show sex before their Female counterparts I believe ;)

To Harvest in July , August or even later is not unheard of at all. The Winter Crop (here) can be planted as late is as possible and may not perform the best but should still tolerate most extremes.

Just to mention ... I germinated seeds in March and April for planting out this year ... different seed strains ... If the situation was decent here I would do the final harvesting toward the end of August sometime .. possibly early September for the latest ones flowering (will they revert? , nah , but I'll be sure to let ya know if they do ;))

Also the seedlings already outside here for a while have each done different things depending on their stage of growth ...

The older earlier ones are kinda stunted and spindly (Bout 20cm tall now) but showing sex just the last couple of nights , may try to flower ... the slightly younger ones thrived a few weeks ago but have kinda halted (wtf is going on with the weather I think I heard one of them say :)) ... they show no sex but may soon , canna see 'em flowerin' tho :sly:

And the poorer ... "ex-stashed in exile" ones that have been tested outside for regeneration have all but done nothing lol

Unfortunatly I've put no other new seedlings outside in the last couple of weeks to be able to complete the "experiment " ... But if I were to be continuing growing *here* I would be confident that now is the perfect *very earliest* time to plant outside and get away with it without fear of too much delay or immature flowering (ofc will be different at different longitudes etc).

The weather has very much warmed up *here* (NE NSW incase I didn't mention it) in the last few days now .. and although there will be still a few very cold days 'n' nights in the coming month or so ... the axis of the sun through the sky is heightening above us all (not so sure how to describe that properly sorry) and the hours of sunshine possible in the day are slowly but surely increasing.

(About a month ago , my garden was recieving less than 4hrs direct full sunlight ... as of now they are getting about 5 and 1/2 hrs already ... not entirely because of the hrs of sunlight atm ... but also and mainly because of the rise above both foreign and geological based obstacles that shade the area in the early morn and late evening lol

Sorry for the long winded reply ... All the best for the rest :)

And Happy Growing All :)

Cheerz lol

Budman :)

(Now saving every single reply , every single minute , into Notepad Document for fear of losing trains of valuable thought) lol

heheheh , Bye 4 Now.