Not a bad idea, sativa's like a warm invironment at night, indica's can handle cold nights a little better but they all like a nice and warm place to grow. :) Some strains can get some purple colored buds and leaves from cold nights, I kinda like that effect, it looks good. :D

the best way to keep your crop warm is a nutrient heater.

or if you dont have hydro setup, lay a waterbed heater on the ground.

These things are best these waterbed heaters. they are 600w and have a thermo and everything, about 90 x 50cm, probably bigger ones too.

Nutrient heaters though are much less wattage, even the smallest heater will be 1000w or so. Not worth it.

I used to have problems when I grew in a shed with a crappy wood bottom. It would really freeze at night, and boil in the day, like the water in my bubblers would be quite hot to touch, like bath temperature. But winter nights would be bad, when I would touch the plants they would feel like they were frozen.

Anyway cold is no to bad, better than heat, If you can't use an Nutrient heater, dont worry about it.

Hey T-boat!! dont you guys use heaters all the time over there?? or are your houses pre-heated??

Guest Field_of_Light

your just wasting power heating your room needlessly..heat your nutrients and when they water the plant it will optimise your growth.......

Id be more worried during summer with massive amounts of heat than a bit of cold...........keep your plants off the floor on crates or something made of wood...concrete is too cold......

Guest Urbanhog
have your light cycle on during the night and dark time during the day.  You can also look into controlling your ventilation at night if its still too cold by timers on your fans.

he said what I was going to reply... as I am in BrisVegas too... but don't grow weed these days... just can't be bothered and don't smoke much these days (I am talking about like once or twice a month! used to be a ounce or two a month smoker in my early days.. like last year :D... and I find the effects from weed if I use once or twice an month is unbelieveable, awesome and very long lasting!..... I just get extremely crippled :) ) ... I just got mates who are growing and they always give me few buds whenever I want anytime, so why bother grow if I dont smoke or consume much these days? :)

Yeah I used to love have the flowering cycle in cold nights... they change to wicked purple colours! depending on the strain of course!

But funny.... IMO.... I grew up in Tassie for nearly 13 years and now living in Brisbane, when I first moved up to Brisbane in winter, I was wearing shorts, t-shirts at night in winter while all Brissy locals were wearing long pants and jumpers and kept crapping on.. gee its cold! I am like... uh? cold? phhftt! but after living in Tropical Queensland for nearly 4 years now and I have noticed I have "tropicalised" and starting to wear long pants and jumpers in winter in QLD and I went back to Tassie in winter last year and I didnt realise how FUCKING COLD it gets down there! .... but just because our bodies feels cold.... but if you look at the weather reports for Brisbane its gets like 10-17C thru the night and 22-27ish thru the day in Brisbane winter we Brissy guys may think we are cold, thats because we are used to QLD's tropical summers of 30C plus..... its just our bodies have adopted to QLD's conditions..... IMO I don't think we should be worrying too much about cold nights in QLD unless you live waaaayyyy outback in QLD where it certainly gets soooo freezing in winter nights.

Never had heaters or whatever in the whole time I lived In QLD during my winter crops in the past. This is just based on my past obersvations/studies in the past.

Hope helps a bit mate.

Urbanhog http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/sp/chefico.gif