Local doctor

grace

Question

Local doctor’s drug project

30/12/2008 8:43:00 AM

The Macleay Argus

http://kempsey.yourguide.com.au/news/local...spx?storypage=0

Local doctor Fares Samara and nurse Madeleine Morgan have conducted a study into a new treatment for the withdrawal symptoms from cannabis addiction.

General practice in the Mid North Coast area has experienced an increase in patients with cannabis dependence, which may result in harmful use.

Studies show cannabis to be the most widely used illicit drug in Australia, with 33 per cent of adults having used cannabis.

It is estimated that 10 per cent of the population are currently regular consumers of the drug.

The withdrawal from heavy cannabis use is often accompanied by symptoms including irritability, anxiety, cravings and insomnia. Standard treatment options to control these symptoms include the use of drugs, which in themselves can be addictive.

Dr Samara, in his work for the Durri Aboriginal medical service addiction clinic, has been prescribing a different non-addictive medicine for nearly six years.

Anecdotal evidence has suggested that this treatment is successful as an alternative to diazepam-like drugs.

An additional advantage is that the drug is already in common use and it is able to be prescribed by GPs without restriction.

In order to confirm the effectiveness of the treatment, a study was conducted by Dr Samara and Madeleine Morgan, outpatient withdrawal (detox) nurse with the North Coast Area Health Service.

This was made possible by a research grant from the Hastings-Macleay General Practice Network.

Thirty patients were recruited to take part in the study. Twenty patients received the standard treatment involving weekly psychological counselling plus the medication, while 10 received only the counselling.

Those receiving both treatments showed a significant trend for improvement in their symptoms of stress, anxiety, insomnia and depression.

“Giving up cannabis involves a month or two of these symptoms,Dr Samara said.

“If we can help people get through the first four weeks the chances of successfully giving up are greatly increased.”

The pilot study findings were presented at the Australian Professional Society on Alcohol and other Drugs Conference last month.

“Our presentation was well received and it provided us with contacts for further research which will hopefully confirm the potential of this treatment,” Ms Morgan said.

While larger studies will be needed to confirm their findings, preliminary results suggest that this drug will be a useful, safe, simple short–term treatment to minimise the acute withdrawal symptoms associated with cannabis addiction.

Anyone wanting further information can contact the Cannabis Clinic on 1300 664098, The Drug and Alcohol Intake line on 1300 662263 or Durri Medical Service on 6560 2300.

3 answers to this question

Is it a great idea to use addictive drugs to stop using a non addictive drug?

I guess these do-gooders think so.

The bigger question is cannabis a physically addictive drug?

Personally, I don't think so but there is most likely a psychological dependency issue.

However I don't really care 'cause I like it! :peace:

They must be breeding the younger generation with a cannabis addictive gene/trait, Rocker.

As you know, a lot of us have been consuming cannabis for decades and I know for a fact, that i can give up cannabis consumption at a drop of a hat. If i choose to do so.

But yeah, please show me someone addicted to cannabis. It'd be nice to know what to keep an eye out for..

lol

They must be breeding the younger generation with a cannabis addictive gene/trait, Rocker.

As you know, a lot of us have been consuming cannabis for decades and I know for a fact, that i can give up cannabis consumption at a drop of a hat. If i choose to do so.

But yeah, please show me someone addicted to cannabis. It'd be nice to know what to keep an eye out for..

lol

I agree with you Indy. Always found it easy to stop.

The withdrawal from heavy cannabis use is often accompanied by symptoms including irritability, anxiety, cravings and insomnia.

The only symptom I get when I take a break is that for the first night I find it a bit hard to get to sleep. Thats all. I sometimes wonder if they take into account the fact that so many people mix their pot with tobacco and many may in fact be experiencing tobacco withdrawl.