German Study: Marijuana Users at Risk for Personality Disorders

German Study: Marijuana Users at Risk for Personality Disorders

22 December 2008

DW-WORLD.DE

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,3894768,00.html

Marijuana smokers tend to be more at risk for psychological problems. German researchers are warning that using marijuana can have serious psychological side effects. Men who use cannabis risk becoming antisocial while women often become depressed and insecure.

Cannabis users between 17 and 30 years are at greater risk of developing multiple types of personality disorders than non-smokers in the same age group, a German study found.

Cannabis also effects women differently than men, the study published in the German psychiatric journal Fortschritte der Neurologie Psychiatrie found.

Researchers at the Protestant Bethanien Clinic in Greifswald discovered that young men tended to become anti-social or develop borderline personality disorders while women who smoked cannabis often become depressed and insecure.

Of the 99 cannabis users examined, 90 percent later developed an antisocial personality disorder.

Personality disorders abound

Symptoms included disregard for social norms, reduced or non-existent empathy for other people and an inability to change behavior despite negative experiences.

One third of the participants in the study had three or more personality disorders.

However, the study could not determine whether using cannabis was responsible for any initial change in their personalities.

Does marijuana do more harm than good?

DPA news agency (th)

However, the study could not determine whether using cannabis was responsible for any initial change in their personalities.

No research money in admitting its cannabis prohibition alone that can cause anxieties, which can lead directly to these personality disorder-like symptoms..

Where they using other drugs as well? Most 17-30 year olds in Germany do, how can they determine that it was caused purely just from cannabis use? I wouldn't trust any report in relation to drugs that comes out of Germany, I'm not a conspiracy theorist but Germany is completely !!mental!! when it comes to drugs. It wouldn't surprise me if the study was even fabricated.

i dont know anything about that but i do know it was on the local news about a study where they had 1000 ppl 500 who had smoked herb previously 500 who didnt out of that it was said that 58% MORE of the ppl who toked had at least a mild case of skitso-phrenea compared to the non-tokers. Kepp in mind these are pple from the 70's ppl who smoked alot when younger and Dont now so.... just think about it,:)

i dont know anything about that but i do know it was on the local news about a study where they had 1000 ppl 500 who had smoked herb previously 500 who didnt out of that it was said that 58% MORE of the ppl who toked had at least a mild case of skitso-phrenea compared to the non-tokers. Kepp in mind these are pple from the 70's ppl who smoked alot when younger and Dont now so.... just think about it,:freak:

I don't quite understand your post. If you are saying pot smokers are 58% more likely to have schizophrenia than non smokers then I think thats rubbish. The schizophrenic population remains at 1%. The amount of smokers in Western populations has increased during the last 30-40 years with no apparent increase in schizophrenia. How recently did you hear this? I'd love to see a link to that study.

Symptoms included disregard for social norms, reduced or non-existent empathy for other people and an inability to change behavior despite negative experiences.

I've always had a healthy disregard of social norms even before I smoked pot. I find that cannabis has increased my empathy. I have also made huge changes in my behaviour while I have been smoking.

Men who use cannabis risk becoming antisocial while women often become depressed and insecure.

Antisocial because of the worry about being busted, going to court, having your career wrecked or even going to jail. What about the problems that prohibition create?

Edited by freddie

I personally believe if a person is predisposed to have a mental illness, than a change in their physiology might trigger that illness. Weed might do it, but so might alcoholism, or loss of job, death of family member, ect. a dramatic life event.

And personality disorders? I think that is a phyciatrists term for personality diversity.... :freak:

Shit I got one at the moment, I think I'll call it D.L.D, "Domestic Laziness Disorder" ^_^