ozone treated water

Hi

new here. I got an impossible to root strain (big bud). I have had success in the past, but it is hit or miss. I follow the std protocol for mister type hydro cloning, including pH control (5 to 6), changing the water frequently, using clonex, humidity (65-75%), water temp (74 F), moderate light, trimming clones on the mom the day before taking the cutting, etc.

And everything is real clean, sterilized and rinsed thoroughly.

However, they are so damn sloooooow to root, taking up to two weeks to show roors even when it works. Also, lately, after about a week, the leaves of the clones have been turning a silver grey color and then look like they are rotting becuase they wilt over and go soft even though they are being constantly watered and in a ambient humidity of around 70%

I can't see any evidence of mold and they looked great and healthy when they came off the mom, which is looking great.

The only thing else I can think of is that my tap water comes from our own well and we ozonate it to purify it. I cannot find any resources that have experience with whether ozone treatment negatively affects rooting of clones. However, it doesn't seem to matter once they are in soil.

For sure, the water is hard, softened with KCL and a high pH out of the tap, 7.5+. Of course, ozone is a bleaching/oxidizing agent, but I would think adjusting the pH with phosphoric acid would fix that.

ANy thoughts on where I am going wrong or whether Ozone can stall rooting would be greatly appreciated.

my bubble cloner takes at least 2 weeks, sometimes 3 to show roots, compared to well rooted Rockwool cubes in 12-14 days.

Aircon room slowed them even further,... I think water temps can probably go a bit higher for cloning. dunno how some people can claim to get roots in 8 days?

Seemed to work better in winter too??

Leaves dying after a week? is that straight after cloning or after they have shown roots? Nice white root hairs?

Hi

thanks. The leaves go south about a week after taking the cutting and before any roots or bumps show. It seems to be tougher to clone in winter, but not sure if it really matters with a mister with 74 F water temp. Ambient temp is about 65-70 F.

If the leaves wouldn't rot before they root they'd probably make it eventually. But, its like a race between root starting and the clone croaking.

I doubt it's your ozoned water as i've used ozone in dwc with no ill effects in fact it's very useful in certain situations. Having said that though I;d try 1 batch with straight well water (no ozone) for a week and do the same with a batch using ozone treated water but no clonex etc and you'll have a much better understanding of your water i reckon. It wont really cost you anything and if the plants have still got same problems or worse then you know it;s the water. Personally i think you'll go ok with just plain well water for a week.

I;d also like bufo suggested keep temps high like 24degs. Are you using a humidity dome to maintain the humidity?

Good luck.

peace

c

thanks for the suggestions.

I think my main problem is that the leaves are getting too wet because the neoprene inserts in my mesh cups are a tad too small, and there is too much water splashing on them. They are rotting because they are constantly wet.

I ordered inserts a bit bigger and will try again at higher water temps.

Thanks again.