gemination in rockwool troubles

i germinated about 20 seeds in the paper towel method and once the tap root came out i put them in 1.5 inch rockwool cubes with pre drilled holes with tap root going down about 1/8 inch down. i put them in my dome on a heat mat until it emerged from the rockwool. the problem i have is the seed is still on when it sprouts. it doesnt even look like it wants to come off. i put them under light about 7 inches away(4 foot 4 tube floro with mixed bulbs).and give about 20-25 ml of water once a day. water is distilled water with 35% h2o2 in it at about 2.0ml/l. the plants barely grow and after 3 days the seed starts to fall off but no roots are growing. 10 tens later they look weak and havent grown at all. ( 1 inch or less). the pull the plant out and find the root didnt grow at all or very little. what the hell am i doing wrong. first pic is 1 day after srpout and second is at day 9

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/atcjon/First%20Grow/pictures121-1.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/atcjon/First%20Grow/pictures187-1.jpg

While i wouldn;t say heat mats are bastard things i'd agree with Bufo that it's prolly not needed in summer in OZ. What temps are you running?

Rockwool doesn;t need to watered everyday, dunk the cube halfway into a bowl of tap water for 2 or 3 secs, repeat the process in 2days or so when the cube is almost dry again. I ditch the paper/plastic stuff around the wool as well. H202 is not needed either not that amount, strength an frequency for seedlings. Don't kill em with kindness, tis usually the number 1 problem for peeps.

peace

c

While i wouldn;t say heat mats are bastard things i'd agree with Bufo that it's prolly not needed in summer in OZ. What temps are you running?

Rockwool doesn;t need to watered everyday, dunk the cube halfway into a bowl of tap water for 2 or 3 secs, repeat the process in 2days or so when the cube is almost dry again. I ditch the paper/plastic stuff around the wool as well. H202 is not needed either not that amount, strength an frequency for seedlings. Don't kill em with kindness, tis usually the number 1 problem for peeps.

peace

c

i only use the heat mat until it sprouts. the heat mat isnt present under lights. i only water once a day and thats because the cube is already dried out. Do you think i should intially give it more water so it stays wet longer. i took out the h2o2 and distilled water and replaced it with tap water adjusted to 5.8. i am also trying a experiement with 3 other sprouts by watering them with tap water and a 1/8 strength nute solution.

I go by the dunking method an never really have problems... You definitely don't want the cube too saturated an that's why i only dunk it halfway. I reckon you;ll see some improvements in your new beans (although the nutes are not needed at all) but your other ones that have stalled probably wont come good now. Best of luck.

peace

c

I also Suggest using Rhizotonic by canna, at 2m/ L. Another great Product is Bud Link (Liquid silica) Will make your stems fatter, and leaf mass will increase dramatically.

As for your rock wool cubes, did you soak them overnight with slightly over adjusted PH water?

Pooring 5.8 PH water into an unsoaked rockwool cube will be feeding the plants at about 7.5! :thumbsup:

This is mainly because rockwool PH is in the 8+ range.

Whats your ventilation like and I would make a little stake and tie a loose piece of string around or invent somthing yourself to point them in the right direction and stopping them from falling over soon?

got fresh air in their?

I go by the dunking method an never really have problems... You definitely don't want the cube too saturated an that's why i only dunk it halfway. I reckon you;ll see some improvements in your new beans (although the nutes are not needed at all) but your other ones that have stalled probably wont come good now. Best of luck.

peace

c

good info on the rockwool cubes....I know now what I did wrong....piece