Question about Oxy-plus strength 50% - Rockwool

Hey guys,

I know this might have been asked a few times, there's lots of discussions on ozstoners regarding this I know, so don't mean to sound like a broken record, just this stuff can be life or death for plants if you over do it...

From what I know there are 3 different strengths of oxy-plus (H202) which are 17.5%, 35% and 50% and there are alot of different guides for sterilizing rock wool cubes for cuttings.

Most of the cloning tutorials say 20 drops(2ml) of oxy-plus per Litre of water and PH adjusted to 6.0 with 1ml superthrive to make up pre-cutting soak water.

Problem is, It doesn't say which strength of oxy-plus being used in any of the guides i've seen it just says "20 drops/2ml oxy-plus Per/L"

I am about to make up 40 cubes for 40 cuttings in my terrarium and will be making up 10litre of soak solution using 50% H202.

So what I was wondering if any of you peeps have experience using 50% H202 for making up soak solution for your rock-wool solution, would very much appreciate if you could enlighten me about ratios per/L for said strength of Oxy-Plus.

This is my Soak-water ratios that I have thus far, but just want to confirm that it will be suitable for my new cuttings.

- 10 Litres Fountain Spring Water

- 20ml 50% Oxy-Plus (H202)

- 10ml Superthrive

- 1/4 Strength Bloom - Hy Gen

I will be soaking these overnight then transferring to my Terrarium at 70% Humidity on Heat mat With thermostat set to 25c under 28w Cool white flouro.

Let me know what you think guys, thank you in advance for your help.

Edited by mark60

2ml for 10litres at 50% is maybe a touch on the high side, but it won't affect anything, just use more product.

Chato's right about it being overkill as in reality the water out of the tap has had all(well, most B) ) of the problem bacteria knocked out by chlorine, but if your trying to keep things sterile, that application rate is fine.

The rate for sterilising make-up water is about a tenth of that.

Don't forget once you start down the sterile Oxy/H202 road, you usually have to keep going as bad bacteria will take hold quickly. I like buying water for cubes too :ph34r: it's usually sterile, will probably be pH neutral but is definately worth checking and adjusting if needed and soaking the cubes in first. I like Pura B) 10 litres $4 at Woolies :)

Heatmats are good in winter, not really needed in summer and can cause problems if they get too hot, but if you have a spiffy one with a thermostat, cool.

10ml of Superthrive???? Mis-print? More like 2-3 drops per 10litres and not more than once as it accumulates easily.

What sort of system are the clones going into? Sounds interesting.

You should soak your rock wool cubes in a large amount of PH adjusted water. If using something like a bowl, or more or less, just enough room, you should drop your PH down about 1.5 bellow what your aiming for. Rock wool has a high PH level, and will thus adjust your PH higher than what your aiming for.

As for Oxy-plus. I use it and think its a great product. Just follow then guide lines about solution strength and that will be enough to kill any germs or bacteria that is in them or the seed. If your going to put 'live' adatives into the rockwool solution give the oxy-plus 24/h to disipate and add. Personally the only product I would use as a starting mix would be Rhizotonic at 1ml/L

Good luck

Cyclone