When to top or prune

Guest Field_of_Light

I probably wouldnt prune it unless you knew whether it was male or female....

Take 2 clones from it when it gets a bit bigger..make sure they have rooted first and then tip/tie down whatever you can of the original. depending on how u do tip your growing plant....I do this to create more budding sites...more budding sites equals more bud!

If you start adding weaker frtiliser to your plant it might grow some more.....

Prune only bottom branches if you are doing scrog so that the top budding sites can be concentrated on by the plant.....

You can prune plants which are too big if you want...but Ive never seen a good enuff excuse for doing this... :D

Guest Field_of_Light
oh yeh once u get into flowering I would tip the bud sites at about 2 weeks in so as to stop elongation and for the plant to concentrate on bud formation

Whether or not to tip relies on your grow space, when you tip the plant bushes out and needs a lot more space which is not a good idea if you are growing in a confined area, tipping is not a necessary part of plant care.

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/ruinkai/coolgleamA.gif http://64.207.13.28/mysmilies/otn/glasses/smokin.gif

It really depends on strain, the best indoor indicas will require no pruning because they will bush out alot, other plants will yield better if pruned once, at about 10". Depending on growth style. If you are only growing one plant than I would prune it.

Tipping in flowering is a bad idea and will leave you with many small buds, instead of single long cola's.

Your plant should be bigger than that by now, alot bigger, repot it, do sumthing, its probably stunted, are you watering it too much?

Are the leaves really small.

Thanks for the advice guys, as i'm new to growing, it might be better if i leave well enough alone, and as my grow space is very small.( a smallish double wardrobe) i think the plant is so small because it was grown from seed and i started the fert at 25% increasing once a week until i reached the recomended amount, should i have increased the fert sooner ?how taller should i let it grow before changing the light cycle,

it all depends on the conditions. ie :light, strain, ferts. sounds like your doing everything alright to me. as long as the plant looks healthy, then it probably is. you may want to go to a bigger container. i'm normally a top trainer, but have recently been having better success with the tying down method. i top once at the fourth node and tie down the resulting shoots.

jrs :D

i think the plant is so small because it was grown from seed and i started the fert at 25% increasing once a week until i reached the recomended amount, should i have increased the fert sooner

I am assuming that you are growing in soil.

Plants in soil don't need the amount of nutrients the hydro plants do as soil already has its own, enough that you shouldn't need to add any until your plant is 3 - 4 weeks old, another problem could be that the pot is too small, to grow a fair sized plant you need a 20 - 25 litre pot.

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/ruinkai/coolgleamA.gif http://64.207.13.28/mysmilies/otn/glasses/smokin.gif1300