Man grew cannabis 'for pain relief'

grace

Question

Man grew cannabis 'for pain relief'

12 November 2008

ABC News

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/11...ction=australia

The Supreme Court in Brisbane has heard a Sunshine Coast man was on a surgery waiting list for so long that he turned to using cannabis for pain relief.

Fifty-four-year-old Alan Ross Purves pleaded guilty to possessing and producing cannabis at his Mapleton home in March this year.

The court heard police went to Purves's house on another matter and could smell the drug.

Purves told police he was using marijuana because he had been on a waiting list for gallstone surgery since 2003.

Justice John Byrne jailed Purves for six months, but immediately suspended the sentence.

10 answers to this question

Join the club Alan. I've been on the waiting list (elective surgery) myself since late 2003 and have been informed earlier this year that my case hasn't progressed any futher up the list. I've tried to find releif the through various pharmacy meds that my Doc has perscribed to me, but they either do nothing at all, or knock me for a six. Cannabis is the only thing i found that comes close to assisting me with pain releif.

I also have been busted in that time and gone through the courts for growing my own personal supply and detectives that raided me, know it was nothing more than personal crop. Infact, I could tell by the look in their eyes and body language, 4 of the 5 officers didn't want to be there 'n wished they were somewhere else, and the one that wanted to process me, tried clearing his conscious by saying to me that he was only doing his job (he might want to question his morals, i tend to think).. ;)

But because of my situation i've had to lay low and have been growing my own again. I can't really afford to stick my head out and speak publicly about it. Because it's not fair to my family (non-consumers of cannabis) to have their name dragged through the mud, so to speak. Let alone the financial ramifications that goes along with going through the system and being fined, etc..

But the thing that really ticks me off, is that the Qld State Government can find the money and resources to make me out to be a criminal, yet they can't find the money or resources to get the surgery done that i require that would see me on my feet and become an active citizen of society again.

Before i had to quit work. I always considerd myself as a solid blue collar worker that has busted my butt over the years to make things comfy for family and make our country a great place. But the one time i need a hand in return from my State and Fed Governments. All they can do is screw me into the ground and make me out to be some sort of scumbag. Even though their is no victim to the apparent crime that i commited.

Because of my employment posititions over the years, I never did earn enough money to afford the luxuries of private Health cover or similar. So i've had no option other than resign myself to the State Health system. So here I am, 5 years on and it appears Alan and myself are in a very similar position. With no light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak.

I will say one thing though. If i do end up getting raided again while i'm still on the waiting list, and growing my own. There's a fair chance you won't shut me up. I will be outspoken and letting whatever media outlets that want to hear my story know how backward my State Government really is.

It just really blows me away that Anna Bligh and her Government can find the resources to hinder there citizens, instead of helping them. Shame on all of them. :whistle:

P.S. This rant isn't intended to look like i'm playing a sympathy card. It's more of a case of me venting my anger towards my State Government and how they handle their citizens..

Join the club Alan. I've been on the waiting list (elective surgery) myself since late 2003 and have been informed earlier this year that my case hasn't progressed any futher up the list. I've tried to find releif the through various pharmacy meds that my Doc has perscribed to me, but they either do nothing at all, or knock me for a six. Cannabis is the only thing i found that comes close to assisting me with pain releif.

Because of my employment posititions over the years, I never did earn enough money to afford the luxuries of private Health cover or similar. So i've had no option other than resign myself to the State Health system. So here I am, 5 years on and it appears Alan and myself are in a very similar position. With no light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak.

I will say one thing though. If i do end up getting raided again while i'm still on the waiting list, and growing my own. There's a fair chance you won't shut me up. I will be outspoken and letting whatever media outlets that want to hear my story know how backward my State Government really is.

It just really blows me away that Anna Bligh and her Government can find the resources to hinder there citizens, instead of helping them. Shame on all of them. :whistle:

P.S. This rant isn't intended to look like i'm playing a sympathy card. It's more of a case of me venting my anger towards my State Government and how they handle their citizens..

I am in NO doubt that marijuana helps with your pain [cannabinoid receptors in the gut etc] . . . I had my gall removed in 2005 . . . now I'm VERY curious . . . they have designated your surgery as 'elective'? I only ask as I used to work within the Health Dept here in Qld and KNOW that there are ways and means to get yourself 'up' the list as such, however, I am still puzzled as to why your surgery would be elective . . .

Would be VERY interested to follow this up . . . If you don't mind [and I am truly geniune in this] . . . would you PM me . . . you never know, you may have been 'misdiagnosed' as far as the wait lists go! [it's not only whom you know but what you know when it comes to sticking it up the Government] ;)

And um, as for the Health Dept in Qld, I started working there when our 'old mate' Peter 'Bloody Hollywood' Beattie was the Minister . . . what he knew about health you could inscribe on a very small pin head . . . when the Health Dept has a Minister who actually understands ANYTHING about patient care as a priority . . . THEN and only then will the Health Dept start to get their priorities RIGHT! :bleh:

Well that fella must have been in a lot of pain :whistle:

Dodgy gallstone since 2003 and its now 2008 lol

Gallstones over time get infected and can get as serious as death ;)

The surgery required is a day surgery ,procedure is key hole surgery. :)

Cant understand why he's still on a waiting list after 5yrs for a simple day surgery procedure ;)

Also this fellas case should carry some weight through the courts

The judge realised he was using it for medical reasons,not dealing it :bleh:

Its like the goverment dont realise that this fella is one of thousands and the revenue they could make supplying medical cannabis.

Im sure theres some where in the state health system where cannabis can be a solution for medical purposes.

My mother in-law this year got breast cancer,after months of radiation and kemo she's also turned to cannabis .

I glady supply her as i see the results of her procedures (hair loss and non stop vommiting)

Cancer patients should be supplyed with medical marijuana

Shit didnt think my post would be this long oh well different things affect different people :)

Cheers roy