Suburbs' secret cannabis farms busted

Arjun Ramachandran

November 11, 2008 - 5:20PM

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/suburb...6318640419.html

Copyright © 2008. The Sydney Morning Herald

Tip-offs triggered police raids on houses in Sydney's south-west, with cannabis plants worth more than $1.5 million seized.

Police forced their way into two houses at 11.15am today - at Thurlow Street, Riverwood, and at Broad Arrow Road, Narwee.

No one was in either house, which contained almost 300 plants, from seedlings to mature-sized plants.

Police said rooms had been converted to grow cannabis. They are investigating who occupied the houses.

Today's operation follows raids at three houses in Kingsgrove and Roselands in the last three weeks.

Those raids were also sparked by an anonymous tip-off, police said.

Two men were arrested in the Kingsgrove raids and charged.

Police believe the five raided houses are linked and they have not ruled out finding more.

"I would urge people to continue to report any kind of suspicious activity to Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000. Callers can of course remain anonymous if they wish," Hurstville crime manager Detective Inspector Terry O'Neill said.

"With the community's help we have stopped more than $2.5 million worth of drugs reaching our local streets in the past month."

Detective Inspector O'Neill said the cannabis houses were dangerous for both their occupants and the police who raided them.

"These houses are often stealing large amounts of electricity and have amateur wiring inside, not to mention that many old homes that have been modified for cannabis growing have disturbed asbestos," he said.

"That's in addition to the concentrated levels of THC (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol), amounts of fertiliser and other chemicals and very little ventilation.

"While our officers follow strict safety guidelines to ensure their health and safety, people that are creating and residing inside these types of home are taking massive risks that just aren't worth it."

Yeh watch out for that deadly THC officer! (dickheads)

yes orificer , that airborne THC is such a bastard isn' it and that bloody amateur electric wiring is SOOOO scary

It just jumps up and attacks ya

and it won't respond too well to ya tazer either ya wanker

I ya stay out of peoples houses ya can stay nice and safe. try that instead of moaning about ya job

I wonder how long 300 plants would survive with (sic) "very little ventilation"

Dick heads.

LMAO i got a mate lives in Broad Arrow Road narwee and he had no idea any one has been busted.......didnt see any cops and he is a huge stoner who stays home all day...........I question what the police are telling the papers here.

So not only didnt he see any bust he had no idea of a grow house being there or where it was, so i doubt a person from the public was to blame for this tip off as he has growen himself and knows the signs. So was well hidden and all looks normal in his st.

So gota say....loose lips sink ships

"That's in addition to the concentrated levels of THC (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol), amounts of fertiliser and other chemicals and very little ventilation

Well they don't have to fucking go in there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As long as the uninformed public believe this shit they will keep spinning it.