problem grow

hi, as i have said in my few other posts i am very new to the indoor grow...also being from north qld, i was familiar with sativa type strains, and since moving to vic have had to get some bag seed and hope for the best.

the prob is, i have been growing these little sprouts for almost 3 weeks, and they are pretty squat in height, they are bushy but it seems they are stunted(like i said i am not sure, this could be typical of more indica strains...i have been searching and now i am thinking its not the case), i noticed the slow growth-then in the last couple of days this yellowing in the bottom leaves.

after looking at the nutrient prob forum in here thought that it may be phosphorous deficiency?

again not sure...the good old guys up in north qld arent into the online bit, so now i am lucky enuff to have you guys to offer advice.

i'm gonna try to attach pics, wish me luck.

the only other info i could provide is...they are in soil(as per fotos)a mix of worm castings, sand, ash(from wood heater)and plain dirt.

i have only been feeding them straight tank water, last nite i mixed up a half strength veg solution with superthrive...there was blood and bone in there also(i wasnt too concerned with the yellowing then-thought phosphorous def.) and was more interested in the lack of vertical growth.

the stems are sturdy enuff, the branches are very close.

have had them under a 400w hps since a week old, my timer shat itself so the 18/6 routine hasnt always been precise for instance - 20/4 or near to then.

there is little ventilation, i do have an exhaust fan(they're growing in the unused shower upstairs).

also a mate that had to go away in a hurry, left me a bunch of lights-amongst them a 600w hps to mh conversion lamp-sunmaster, and 3 1000w mh lamps-warm deluxe sun master.

the 1000w'ers i thought would be okay for flowering, but maybe the 600w may help these sprouts out now?dont know.

are the 1000w'ers overkill for only a couple of plants(maybe 4-6)?

alsothe 400 w lamp above these little ones is about 7 inches above them.

phew, thats about it.

any help would be appreciated.

i hope these images help.

cheers phin.

post-17942-1224677260_thumb.jpg

post-17942-1224677404_thumb.jpg

post-17942-1224677548_thumb.jpg

post-17942-1224677630_thumb.jpg

post-17942-1224677743_thumb.jpg

thanks guys, i have been letting them dry out a little between waters, but i do give em a heavy wet when i do....i'll try to move the lite - thanks wrangler.

with the nitrogen deficiency, would a stronger mix of the veg nutrients fix it?i was not wanting to burn them.

i know what you mean bmwswim, its like having sick kids....good luck with yours man.

thanks again.

cheers phin. lol

heya phineas lol , mate i know you have made up the soil for them and it has all good things in it , but does it drain freely .. when ya pour water on the top it should come out the bottom nearly as fast or its no good drainage imo ...

i would repot them in plain potting soil (good brand) in seperate pots and also foliar feed them with some weak nutes and or some seaweed extract, unti;l they pickup again ... after repotting dont give them full intense light for the 1st 12hrs after repot, just less intense light so they can get a little rest, then all should be good

all the best with them lol

i was about to say they are rootbound and need transplanting, but since you are taking care of that i wont go into any detail lol

the 400w light they are under now is big enough to do them until harvest. i wouldnt do that with the stronger lights around, but the point im trying to make is there is no need to add the extra heat, light and money to your electricity bill just yet. i would wait atleast another 2 weeks before upgrading the light, maybe longer.

i hope they pick up and keep the pics coming lol

good advice guys, have moved the lites about a foot and a half above them.

there has been a noticeable change in colour - more green less of that sickly yellow.

i have a guy coming around to install some power to an old shed out the back, i intend to get myself some space and will have to wait till then to repot, as there isnt mcuh room in the shower space i am using now.

never left any girls in a pot all the way thru to the end, so am pretty interested in everyones advice and feedback.

gonna try some straight cocco going for around 15lt pots.

i dont know the background of this bag seed, so its gonna be a case of not being to specific with technique i guess.

any advice and experience with cocco nutes would be appreciated.

man this site is great.

will post some more pics soon...

cheers phineas. B)