What size pots?

I have a couple of plants in what I think are fairly large pots this year, not sure of the exact size though, but I'm always worried that the plants won't grow to their full potential. I used the same pots last year and got a decent harvest but you know how it goes... always wanting more.

So can anyone post a few pictures, with something next to the pot to show scale, of what a good size pot is for outdoors?

The bigger the pot the bigger the roots

The bigger the man the bigger his boots

The bigger the roots the bigger his buds

But the big man was a biggot, used small pots, n got small nugs.

A Banjo Patterson in the making. >:(

lmao. Can't help but agree there.

Sorry I can't really help with your question Trickee, but from what I have read, the bigger the root system the more bud you get...

>:(

I have a couple of plants in what I think are fairly large pots this year, not sure of the exact size though, but I'm always worried that the plants won't grow to their full potential. I used the same pots last year and got a decent harvest but you know how it goes... always wanting more.

So can anyone post a few pictures, with something next to the pot to show scale, of what a good size pot is for outdoors?

Mate, if the plants rootbound then transplant it,however try not to transplant until just on rootbound as plant when transplanted will be itching for that new soil and space from larger pot....the plant will go off. if you start early then you should be able to reach a 44 gallon drum size pot that holds a pound .....my rule of thumb is 6 foot by christmas and youll grow a pound a plant...when you move from a 25-50lt pot to a 44 gallon drum then do this :-

stones 60-100ml in bottom of drum

2 road kill (fresh dont matter)

good soil

then good soil with slow release and cap it off with a thick mulch.

dont tell anyone though

Following on from this question, im planning to start a plant in a week or so, finish time should be around mid april.

Im stuck deciding between 100lt planter bags (50cm x 51cm) or 150lt planter bags (60cm x 55 cm), which would you guys get, considering it would be harder to blend in the larger bag into the bush?

I see some trees grown in these planterbags reach like 3-4m tall, and bushy too.

So will my plant run out of room in a 100lt pot in maximum 6 months and be restricted?

Should i go with the 150lt?

Im leaning towards the 150lt from whats been said so far, but id rather not if it wont increase my yield over the 100lt.

Hi Blazehappy,

I'm not sure about those planter bags, but hey, each to there own....I guess your plant is quiite large by the time you put it in the bag(planter)...i guess then it would be "in the bag"...ha ha ......anyway.

If its only small and you put it in a large amount of soil like 150lts then the plant will spend a heap of time looking for the bottom of the pot and spreading its wings(roots) to the sides thus being able to determine how much space it has and spends valuable growing time developing this elaborate root system.

Why does this matter you may ask??....As the plant grows so it works with the space it has and once it finds its depth and width it starts growing, thus if you transplant when plant is nearly rootbound and nearly finished its growing spurt in that pot..its time to transplant...once transplanted it all starts again and the plant has new dimensions to work in.

The quicker you get the plant to take up all the pot space(bag) the quicker it will think that it has enough time to bud off properly.I would suggest that if your tranplanting into a 150 lit bag the plant would be at least coming out of a 25 lt pot..I never put a small plant(small pot) say 3lt pot int a 25 or 50lt pot ...Id go from jiffy pot to 1/2 lt pot to 5 lt pot to 25 lt to 50++