SA New laws on drug making equipment (New laws apply from Sunday 19 Oc

New laws on drug making equipment

October 2008

Media Release (75kb pdf)

New laws apply from Sunday 19 October 2008 on the possession of items closely linked with illegal drug making and cultivation.

A person, organisation or business will need to provide a legitimate reason for having the items listed below. This includes equipment that has been modified or is being repaired.

A person who is in possession of any these items without a legitimate reason is guilty of an offence. The maximum penalty is $10 000 or imprisonment for 2 years, or both.

Prescribed equipment includes the items listed below as well as any document containing instructions for the manufacture of a controlled drug or the cultivation of a controlled plant.

Under the Act these items are prescribed:

Items that can be used for hydroponic cannabis cultivation:

metal halide lights, high pressure sodium lights and mercury vapour lights of 400 watts or greater

ballast boxes

devices (including control gear, lamp mounts and reflectors) designed to amplify light or heat

carbon filters designed to filter air within a room, or from 1 area of a building to another or to outside

cannabis bud or head strippers

units designed to contain plants and rotate around a light source so that the plants grow hydroponically while being exposed to a consistent degree of light or heat or both

Items that can be used in the manufacture of controlled drugs:

condensers

distillation heads

heating mantle

rotary evaporators

heater-stirrers

mechanical-stirrers

pressure reaction vessels

separatory funnels

buchner flasks

in-line membrane filters

reaction vessels

splash heads

tube furnaces

manual or mechanical tablet presses, including parts for such an item

manual or mechanical encapsulators, including parts for such an item

an item modified to perform the function of a condenser, distillation head, splash head, pressure reaction vessel or tube furnace

A device comprising a hydraulic compression system and a die that can be used to compress a powdered substance into blocks.

A copy of the Controlled Substances Act 1984 and Controlled Substances (General) Variation Regulations 2008 (including the list of prescribed equipment) can be found on the South Australian Legislation website.

www.justice.sa.gov.au

the pdf

DRUG-MAKING TOOLS RISK JAIL

Hon Michael Atkinson

Attorney-General

Minister for Justice

The Attorney-General Michael Atkinson has warned those involved in making illicit drugs that from

today they can be jailed if they’re caught with any of 30 listed drug-making items.

“This sends a crystal clear message to drug manufacturers. We won’t turn a blind eye to your

activities in this State and no element of the drug-making trade will be tolerated,” Mr Atkinson said.

“Where there’s smoke there’s fire. By banning the means to make illegal substances, we’re crippling

the drug trade. From today, no-one can have the tools of the drug trade without proving they have a

legitimate reason,” Mr Atkinson said.

The prescribed equipment includes:

Hydroponic cannabis equipment, such as:

• some high-intensity lamps, lamp mounts and reflectors used to heat and grow seedlings

• carbon filters used to block the powerful smell of cannabis and evade detection by police

• cannabis bud or head strippers.

Clandestine laboratory equipment, such as:

• some condensers, evaporators, heating tools, stirrers and distilling devices used for cooking

illegal drugs

• some funnels, flasks and filters

• tablet and capsule presses

• heroin presses

Drug-making recipes and cannabis growing instructions are also prescribed items.

The laws will also cover prescribed equipment that has been modified or is broken. Offenders face

jail time of up to two years or a $10, 000 fine.

“These items have been nominated by police as the equipment most closely linked to cannabis

cultivation and amphetamine and heroin production. These items have very few legal uses,” he said.

“Police intelligence reveals some hydroponic equipment stores have been instrumental in supporting

S.A’s illegal drug making syndicates. Police want to break this link in the chain and we’re doing all we

can to help them,” Mr Atkinson said.

The changes to the Controlled Substances Act also back the Rann Government’s tough stance against

criminal motorcycle gangs. Making and selling illicit drugs is one of the most lucrative endeavours of

outlaw bikies in South Australia.

News Release

www.ministers.sa.gov.au

At the last election the Rann Government promised to impose a jail term of one year and a fine of

$4000 for possessing drug-making items. These laws go well beyond that promise.

Today’s changes will be fortified with the passage of the Rann Government’s Controlled Substances

(Controlled Drugs, Precursors and Cannabis) Amendment Bill 2008.

That legislation will lead to an aggravated charge for people caught with both prescribed equipment

and chemical ingredients for illicit drugs.

More information about the prescribed items can be found at www.justice.sa.gov.au or by calling the

Attorney-General’s Department on 8207 1723.

I guess we will need to start buying from drug dealers again and then start dealing too, as so we can afford to provide ourselves with medicine. If our jails were not crowded enough with innocent people using or cultivating for personal consumption. The saddest part is it is all too often those that are sick with very little income growing there own that will be now facing jail time or $10,000 fines. War on drugs I think not, it a war against the lowest economic class, the sick and people with whom grow to avoid being associated with real criminals!

Fuck You Michael Atkinson I hope you and your family one day finds yourself in need of marijuana for medical purposes. And a Merry fucking Christmas to you to asshole

I use cannabis as medicine because some wanker decided not to look when driving their car into me. No fault of my own. Now I'll be treated as an even worse criminal (if I get caught) because I grow my own medicine. The SA government is going to help the organised criminal gangs get richer and more powerful while every day, tax paying South Aussies are stuffed into jails. Seems to me there might be a few dirty pollies in the mix. Go and fuck yourselves! :smoke:

:peace:

Fucking pigs, they claim they're gonna stop bikes but all they'll achieve is helping the black market. Bikies will just source equipement from overseas and then sell it on at ridiculously inflated prices. As per usual it is the little guy that stands to lose the most, followed closely by the taxpayers whose dollars are wasted on the war on drugs.

Fucking pigs, they claim they're gonna stop bikes but all they'll achieve is helping the black market. Bikies will just source equipement from overseas and then sell it on at ridiculously inflated prices. As per usual it is the little guy that stands to lose the most, followed closely by the taxpayers whose dollars are wasted on the war on drugs.

They don't need to get from over seas, they can get everything they want from across the border, which I don't think will hurt commercial growers one bit, its only going to effect the peaceful personal grower who will have to start buying there weed and supporting organized crime.

Anyway my advice is to stay away from SA if you even look like a bong head. I was just up in Coober Pedy got pulled over to get alcohol test, as I'm pulling over I hear this young copper say this ones got weed on him. Four of them start walking around inspecting my car, they couldn't get me there, so this fuck wit copper sticks he's head in my car and claims he can smell it, he couldn't smell shit, got my good billy and everything.

Nothing but thugs, they could see that I was just a tourist traveling around Australia, had the camper on and everything. I really do think the young copper who was so concerned in catching me just wanted some smoke for him self by the way he was acting.

>:(

Is it possible the SA laws have surpassed Qld laws as the most draconian and pathetic?

Would led lights be the go in SA now?

According to Qld and SA law even viewing certain threads on this site could be deemed a crime.

Recently in Qld a female pleaded guilty to possesing a utensil. A pair of scissors she had used for chopping up. That is fucking ridicoulous. It is blatantly obvious the police are persuing minor offences and ignoring major criminal activity. They have a vested interest in maintaining arrest numbers to attempt to justify their budgets. Yet it is the little guys they target.

Police support Prohibition because prohibition supports their income. What would they do if they actually won their corrupt war on drugs? They need the war on drugs to keep the money flowing.

The more I hear about this war on drugs the more I smell the stench of corruption.

even worse some of these lawmakers flaunt and laugh about their own previous use of Cannabis ... but nothing is done about that ... why have they been 'let off' ... after all by their own words they have chosen to break the law by smoking Cannabis, albeit may have been some yrs ago it was still illegal, probably even more so .........

South Australia's elected government has become a basket case ruled by misfits, deadbeats and modern day confidence tricksters ... adelaide will slowly become mumified by the lack of water and in time will revert back to the desert it once was ....

i dont beleive the lawmakers in SA realise the large revenue that the Cannabis Cottage Industry in that state has the capacity to generate, and thereby oil the squeaky old economic wheels that have nearly fallen off the state ...

on that prohibited list it says

Drug-making recipes and cannabis growing instructions are also prescribed items.

so if you even had an old copy of a High times or Stickypoint magazine in your house you could be jailed for up to two yrs ...

politicians who have presided over such breaches of human rights must be the 1st ones put against the wall come the revolution for it is they who seek to enslave free men with their oppressive laws and failed capatalisim >:( ...

>:(

Genesis 1-29, And God said, “See, I have given you every herb that yields seed which is on the face of all the earth, and every tree whose fruit yields seed;

to you it shall be for food.