No conviction for trafficking drugs

BY ZARA DAWTREY COURT REPORTER

9/10/2008 1:00:00 AM

http://northerntasmania.yourguide.com.au/n...gs/1328865.aspx

Copyright © 2008. Fairfax Media.

A BEACONSFIELD man who admitted smoking 100 cones of marijuana a day to police was yesterday found not guilty of trafficking in the drug.

Police searched the property of Peter Gerard Adams, 41, in April last year.

They discovered 90 cannabis seedlings growing in his sunroom, and another five plants drying in an outside shed.

But Adams denied any intention to sell the drug once the plants reached maturity.

Asked by police what he intended to do with them, he answered "smoke them".

"I just smoke and smoke and smoke, from the time I get up to the time I go to bed ... it just takes the edge off," he said.

"I've been smoking so long now I'm dependent on the sh-t."

Jurors returned the not guilty verdict after a one-day trial in the Launceston Supreme Court.

However, Adams pleaded guilty to further counts of possessing and using a controlled plant, and possessing a thing used in connection with the use of a controlled plant.

Chief Justice Ewan Crawford said only the size of the plants saved Adams from serving jail time.

"If they had been closer to maturity, I would have imprisoned him - sent him to actual prison today - because such a number is far in excess of a trafficable quantity, and the potential for misuse of such a quantity by sale and supply would clearly be there," Chief Justice Crawford said.

He instead sentenced Adams to three months' jail wholly suspended on the condition he be of good behaviour for two years.

Chief Justice Ewan Crawford said only the size of the plants saved Adams from serving jail time.

"If they had been closer to maturity, I would have imprisoned him - sent him to actual prison today - because such a number is far in excess of a trafficable quantity, and the potential for misuse of such a quantity by sale and supply would clearly be there," Chief Justice Crawford said.

lol Ewan Crawford obviously struggles with basic biology eh. It's a plant for fucks sake! It grows. Isn't the potential in the number of plants rather than the size of them?

..good on Adams though, for bullshitting his way to a suspended sentence lol

:smoke: