Water and soil question.

Hi There,

My soil is not very free-draining at all. after I water my plants it will remain

moist for many days afterwards, thanks to things like peastraw and composted horse-manure (and the soil

itself is only marginally clay like if at all).

The plants are going well but i'm wondering if i should introduce some sand/gypseum/course rocks

to help the soil drain faster.

Is it better to water more often with free draining soils or less often with not so good drainage?

Is it better to allow the roots to dry out now and again? (afraid of root rot, if that exists?).

nah saturaid is for penetration.

Although i think there are also saturaid crystals and they are for holding.

To put it in perspective and without giving too much away about my ID

I have done some soil research in the past kinda my field and we grew horse raddish in heavy clay high salinty soil this = basically no penetration. Furthermore the holes in the pots were blocked by grow bags for experimental reasons.

We just calculated water holding capacity and watered the plants based on weight loss. plants never got water logged.

Hey 2past lol

I don't think there's much you can do if the plants are already in, but if you still think it needs better drainage, you could mix in some perlite before your next grow.

I just mix up worm castings, compost, perlite and a bit of coco for a general potting mix.

It's heaps lighter than using soils with sand, clay and gravel in them. So it makes moving my potted ladies around, much easier on my back lol

Happy gardening :smoke: