600w HPS - Disco Strobe

I opened the room tonight and was shocked to find of my 600W globes had developed a strobe effect!

I am just a little confused as the globe is new and hasn't been mishandled or damaged in any way.

Has anyone else had this type of problem, do I just put it down to a dodgy globe??

Anyhow of to change it now :D

Cheers

Canaman

sometimes when the power stops (power failure or you turn it off for some reason) and the light starts again within a minute or so, it takes quite a while for the light to run correctly again, more than ten minutes in some instances, anyway, during this time i have often noticed the strobe effect, always after around the ten minutes or so the light has gone back to normal

my local maccas has a strobe'in HPS in there drive thru, maybe you purchased an old bulb and u were convinced it was new. does it start up and get warm then when it reaches its arcing temperature it will arc for one second then shut off and start again at its warm up temp, then about 2min later its back to full arc and fails again. big loop ??

remember when handling globes always use a clean cloth never ever handle with your hands, the oil in your hands can cause weak spots. But not a disco affect. :unsure:

cheers

Gills

gills mate, i know about this, and still dont care, my MH bulb has my hand prints all over it, not that u can see them without some police work. but the HPS right next to it is clean, ho hand prints of any kind. the bulbs have had roughly the same amount of "on" life and im not seeing any problems, i think everyone is a little to paranoid, or some1 had grease master hands from KFC when they handled there bulb and we have an urban legend. the outer bulb protects everything

^^^ mostly covered above

sounds like you tripped the fuse in the meter box, the globe wont relight straight away when hot if left to flicker too long your destrowing the ballast and globe. turn off let cool for 10min and swich in. If you still have a problem take the globe and ballst back and do a few tests to work out wherer the problem is, not common to get broken bulbs from time to time.

How long have you had the set up? Over time the brass screws in the junction boxes can come a little bit loose due to the constant heating up and cooling down. This can cause the cable to have small arcs where the screws are, if that is the case then just trim the cable and re strip the insulation and reconnect.