Man faces court over 'perfect' pot operation

Man faces court over 'perfect' pot operation

September 29, 2008

By HELEN JACK

The Northern Star

http://www.northernstar.com.au/storydispla...storyid=3786181

IT WAS a hydroponic set-up any criminal would envy.

That was the observation of Lismore Local Court magistrate Nick Reimer last Friday after looking at police photographs of cannabis plants grown by 42-year-old Tullera man Mark Andrew Cresswell.

A police search of Cresswell's rented property in March this year revealed a purpose-built room inside a metal-clad shed in which 44 mature cannabis plants were found growing in plastic pots.

The room was covered with white and black plastic. It also had growth lights with adjustable shades hanging from the ceiling, and fans to control temperature and humidity.

Nutrients and fertilisers were found in a nearby cupboard.

Under the house police found 3.94kg of wet cannabis heads hung across fishing line to dry.

They also found another growing room under the house with four more mature cannabis plants in pots.

Defence solicitor Paul Smart said Cresswell had no intention of selling the cannabis, instead it was to maintain his own habit, which at the time was nearly two ounces a week.

Mr Smart said Cresswell's habit started when he began using cannabis for pain management of injuries received in childhood and a motor vehicle accident and from arthritis.

"There was no cash found, no scales, no resealable plastic bags and no indication of monetary rewards from the selling of cannabis," he said. "He is also a respected breeder of python snakes and spiders."

Mr Reimer said there was nothing found by police to suggest Cresswell was growing the crop for anything other than personal use.

"The photos show a very sophisticated procedure. A lot of people who have come before court would have been more than pleased to achieve the results he has achieved. The quantity was enormous. A very successful operation," he said.

Mr Reimer said that since being arrested Cresswell had stopped using cannabis and reports from the Magistrates Early Referral Into Treatment program were very favourable.

Cresswell received a two-year suspended sentence.

I wonder how much the police destroyed & how much was 'lost'.

A wild lad that lived in a nearby village got busted for 6 Kg of dried bush heads found in his roof cavity.

When it went to court the charges were suddenly reduced and the quantity was said to be only 6 Oz.

Instead of shutting up, he went beserker in court, "Where's the rest of it, you c**ts stole 6 Kg from me"...

Charged were suddenly dropped & he was released due to 'problems with the evidence'.

The funniest part of the whole story was that during the raid his younger sister full-on decked one of the D's and they were too embarassed to charge her.

Man this guy was prepared for a rainy day. keeping all evidence of sale away from house. I cant remember who in the forumn said it but they summed it perfectly "ask yourself how this would look in court if you got busted today"

This guy just reinforces this point for me

AWESOME post refreshes the concept for me i been getting slack gunna remove my glad bags right now. problem is they are handy even if you are a personal smoker like me.