Cannabis 'worse for mental health'

:D I'm not saying this article isn't just more sensationalist dribble because it is :D but I tend to agree cannabis can cause other problems for some users. When you have people with problems such as schizophrenia, bi-polar, aspergers, post traumatic stress disorder, add, adhd and the list goes on self medicating with cannabis and no doctors advising or regulating then some can develop issues. Some medicines don't suit some people. Blaming the cannabis for this though is putting the cart before the horse imo. Personally I think the government is negligent in their duty of care - I assume they have a legal duty of care like everyone else- to these people and it is they that should be blamed for any link between cannabis use and the problems it causes for a few, and in the cases of those few, imo the government should be held legally accountable. These people don't have any legal avenue to work with their doctor using properly tested and consistent medication that they find does help them, unlike the many other medications they have been given legally that don't help and in cases where other issues do develop, have it addressed by their doctor before it becomes a problem, rather they are using many different medicines, which is what different strains are, at unregulated doses which if you do with any medicines is a recipe for disaster. They can't stop people from using it as billions of dollars and countless other collateral costs over decades now has shown. If anything more use it now than have ever done in human history. The government recognizes they cant stop it's use only try and reduce it and they also recognize there is a problem and a link between cannabis and mental health with some users but instead of addressing the real issue they use it as the excuse to further prohibition when in reality prohibition is the direct cause of the problem.

If the government doesn't make medical use legal for problems like l mentioned above and for people to use to treat other health issues including stress, which is recognized as one of the biggest killers and triggers for problems associated with allot of illnesses including mental health and its widest medicinal use in society, then people will continue to self medicate unchecked and some of these people will develop other problems just as they would if they took different prescription medicines of varying dosages and the the problems the government are trying to avoid will be created instead I fear.

Peace MongyMan

Well I'm not sure about anyone else, but I use cannabis to treat my depression. All the pills I took from the doctor for it either had terrible side effects or sent me absolutely looney. Whilst I wouldn't say it's a cure, it does definately help me to continue throughout the day, to make sure i'm a functioning, contributing member of society.

As for anxiety, well, if they stopped trying to persecute and prosecute all of us then most of our anxiety would disappear.

I also must say that most of my friends who are stoners use it for their own reasons, but all of them have decent paying jobs, pay their taxes, and abide by all the laws except for the smoking or cultivation for personal use. Is it really worth my tax paying money to come after people I support. Perhaps all the stoners should start to refuse to pay tax, and then we could hit em where it hurts. They wouldn't be able to afford to lock us all up.

Edit:

Cannabis is BAD! Drink lots of alcohol instead! Or grab that fitpack and have a go! That to me seems to be the message been pushed. I'm sure the impact of alcohol or stimulant abuse doesn't lead to depression, anxiety or psychosis. For fucks sake... get a grip you tools!

Guys, you make very valid points. Even though I am an advocate for change, I have always maintained that cannabis does not suit everyone. So long as we maintain a responsible stance re use and mis-use, we will be seen with an increasing credibility. Eventually there will be enough momentum to bring about change, but to do that we must be united.

Guys, you make very valid points. Even though I am an advocate for change, I have always maintained that cannabis does not suit everyone. So long as we maintain a responsible stance re use and mis-use, we will be seen with an increasing credibility. Eventually there will be enough momentum to bring about change, but to do that we must be united.

Cannabis is like any other 'medicine' it doesn't work for all and should be used, like everything, in moderation and when suitable . . . medically speaking . . . recreationally is another thing altogether . . .

I just wish SOMEONE with some clout could get the TRUTH out there instead of all the misinformation . . . my partner is a diabetic and has been blasted in court for NOT taking uppers, downers, synthetic opioids etc etc AND for preferring to self medicate with cannabis [because it is 'mind altering' . . . wtf?!?!? and the chemical concoctions pushed on us all by the pharma/medical profession aren't?!?!?] . . . his eyesight amazes the opthalmologist whom he last saw [considering his diabetes] and he puts this down to his cannabis use . . . I would like to think that for whom cannabis works, medicinally, it would be the responsibility of not only the medical profession but the 'powers that be' to allow prescription of same . . . not deny it because it CAN be misused . . . well, lets just look at the list of PRESCRIPTION and LEGAL drugs that are misused, oh, it'd be too long a list to post here . . . :D

I just might go along to my GP, who holds up his hands and says there's nothing he can do for me, and ask him where he stands on Medical Marijuana . . . half of the prescription meds I'd taken over the years gave me half of the problems I now have and I'm one angry pain sufferer who can get NO relief in any way, shape or form EXCEPT for when I use cannabis . . . which isn't nearly often enough . . .

You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned the need to separate medical use from recreational use. The distinction twixt the two needs to be made very clearly. It comes down to a process of spreading awareness, and to that end my role with the Medical Cannabis Research Board is that of an educator. Edited by smokin.moose

:bow: I'm not saying this article isn't just more sensationalist dribble because it is :D but I tend to agree cannabis can cause other problems for some users. When you have people with problems such as schizophrenia, bi-polar, aspergers, post traumatic stress disorder, add, adhd and the list goes on self medicating with cannabis and no doctors advising or regulating then some can develop issues. Some medicines don't suit some people. Blaming the cannabis for this though is putting the cart before the horse imo. Personally I think the government is negligent in their duty of care - I assume they have a legal duty of care like everyone else- to these people and it is they that should be blamed for any link between cannabis use and the problems it causes for a few, and in the cases of those few, imo the government should be held legally accountable. These people don't have any legal avenue to work with their doctor using properly tested and consistent medication that they find does help them, unlike the many other medications they have been given legally that don't help and in cases where other issues do develop, have it addressed by their doctor before it becomes a problem, rather they are using many different medicines, which is what different strains are, at unregulated doses which if you do with any medicines is a recipe for disaster. They can't stop people from using it as billions of dollars and countless other collateral costs over decades now has shown. If anything more use it now than have ever done in human history. The government recognizes they cant stop it's use only try and reduce it and they also recognize there is a problem and a link between cannabis and mental health with some users but instead of addressing the real issue they use it as the excuse to further prohibition when in reality prohibition is the direct cause of the problem.

If the government doesn't make medical use legal for problems like l mentioned above and for people to use to treat other health issues including stress, which is recognized as one of the biggest killers and triggers for problems associated with allot of illnesses including mental health and its widest medicinal use in society, then people will continue to self medicate unchecked and some of these people will develop other problems just as they would if they took different prescription medicines of varying dosages and the the problems the government are trying to avoid will be created instead I fear.

Peace MongyMan

Great post MM ... You make a lot of valid points

We all recognise that some people experience problems with cannabis use and we need to ensure those people receive the very best of health care rather than what is happening now as most end up homeless or in prison. More money needs to be spent on health interventions programs, housing and prison release programs.

We need credible research into what is causing mental health issues in the first place rather than ill informed comments about cannabis that only serve to stigmatise everyone in the cannabis community and make it more difficult for these patients to discuss their health needs with their doctors.

Hundreds of thousands of Australians are using cannabis for medicinal purposes in a responsible manner but are at risk of prosecution on a daily basis for growing their own medicine or buying it on the black market. The caring people who run the compassion clubs at their own expense are at more risk.

Home grown cannabis is saving the government thousands if not millions of dollars in health costs and it is high time research was done on the health and costs benefits of cannabis for medical patients and the community rather than these useless studies undertaken by self interests groups who are not looking at the bigger picture let alone people's health needs.

Take care

grace :D

I am sure that if we as a community could petition this lady (and I use the term loosely)with impunity she would be in an old age home before she got to the last signature. It is just so frustrating when people can jump on the anti cannabis band wagon knowing that we are not going to speak up as we have too much to lose. If we could get the government to have a moratorium on cannabis use, with impunity to all those who are prepared to stand up and be counted, maybe just maybe we could start to turn the general public to our way of thinking. While the governments of the day are controlled by the Murdochs, Pfizers, Oil companies etc etc we do not have a hope in hell of turning public opinion.

Not fucking happy jan.

I would like to think that for whom cannabis works, medicinally, it would be the responsibility of not only the medical profession but the 'powers that be' to allow prescription of same . . . not deny it because it CAN be misused . . . well, lets just look at the list of PRESCRIPTION and LEGAL drugs that are misused, oh, it'd be too long a list to post here . . . :D
They seem happy enough to allow drug companies to sell pretty close to 100% THC pills (I know one 15yo who was prescribed it during his recovery after a very nasty window glass accident) yet they complain about supposed increases in THC levels in one of earths most wonderful food, fibre & medicinal plants, when used by free, consenting adults... can they not see their own hypocrisy. Me thinks they do, but don't care, as their hypocrisy helps protect & enhance their power & profits.

:D

Edited by Kali Mist

They seem happy enough to allow drug companies to sell pretty close to 100% THC pills . . . yet they complain about supposed increases in THC levels in one of earths most wonderful food, fibre & medicinal plants, when used by free, consenting adults . . . can they not see their own hypocrisy. Me thinks they do, but don't care, as their hypocrisy helps protect & enhance their power & profits.

:D

Hypocrisy? Isn't that a pre-requisite for entering politics? :D

Guys, before I post my thoughts on this latest research on cannabis, I want to talk to Professor Copeland. What I can and will say now is that this issue has been done to death in the media for the last 20 years, and nothing in the report do I find of any meaningful significance.

Guys, it seems that Professor Copeland will not speak with me. I have just now sent her office this email.

Email to: Paul Dillon

National Communications Manager

National Cannabis Prevention and Information Centre (NCPIC)

UNSW

SYDNEY NSW 2052

Paul, am I right in assuming that Professor Copeland will not speak with me because I hold a different viewpoint. I am a writer and I am published in several International magazines. I am a researcher who has stumbled on the holy grail of treatments for the insidious illness known as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. It just so happens that my medicine is a cannabis based medicine.

If it turns out that Professor Copeland will not speak with me for the reasons I have mentioned, I will simply start writing that your organisation is basically a propaganda arm of the Department of Health, without due regard for the total picture. You engender a state of reefer madness, and as an Australian taxpayer, I find that repugnant that you do it under the guise of Federal funding.

Regards and compassion

Mark