Preserving seeds

I am wondering if anyone can tell me if freezing seeds will preserve them? I am waitingt nto get some seeds from UK and they have not received my money yet. A friend has some hydro seeds she will give to me (don't know what strain) so I am thinking of planting them in between time as the boat is slow from China getting them here. When they arrive will I be able to preserve them until time to plant? Many thanks to those who can put me on the right track. :scratchin:

When it comes to seeds and or substances that can alter or denature with temperature I would go with the fridge! alot of specialized drugs/medications etc have to kept in the fridge to remain stable and as bongaloid said seeds probably have a water molecule or two in them which could rupture plant/seed cells/membrane etc when frozen.

However that's not to say that freezing doesn't work full stop I'm sure some would survive with a regular kitchen freezer.

:peace:

So does anyone know anything more about this? ... Can you store Cannabis Seeds in the Freezer or in the Fridge? ... If so, for how long and is it an optimum way?

I would tend to think along the lines of what was mentioned about the freezer already , i.e. cell damage .. but I'd apply a similar theory to the fridgekeeping aswell , in that the differing temps of an average refrigerator (weather and opening closing , blackouts, defrosting etc.) would have a negative affect on the seed through sweating process and other things ... however maybe if you vacuum sealed them?? I wonder .. lol

So if anyone has anymore info about this I for one would be interested as I beleive a healthy seed-stock is one of the most important collections you could ever own ... I know plenty of people who would agree with this :)

Personally , I've always just tried to use small plastic containers , glass vials , small baggies (doublebagged) , tins etc .. stored anywhere dry , dark and outta temperature extremes :) Tins I'm a little wary of because of possible corrosion ... but I also wonder whether glass or plastic , compared say to a paper envelope or something is better , how much would the seeds want to breathe or regulate their own moisture levels during longterm storage?

The oldest seed I've had thats been grown (over 12yrs old) was stored in an old yellow standard Kinder Suprise Capsule (my favourite storage method of bygone days , though be careful opening them ;)) and grew to about 2x3m before getting ripped :x

gallery_8241_300_364677.jpg

This ended up with well over 150 seperate branches that all woulda been small heads (Not bad for 12yr old seed) , Damnit I'd still be smokin that tasty Sativa now if the kids hadn't got to it :/

Here's how it ended up for those of you who lika da Pics :yinyang: ...

post-8241-1239173880_thumb.jpg post-8241-1239173935_thumb.jpg post-8241-1239174047_thumb.jpg

And Here's how it ended (a few weeks after gettin chopped immaturely lol some of the smaller branches grew up but sheesh I just gave up onit really) ...

post-8241-1239174274_thumb.jpg

The End. (crikey , I may aswell have started a new topic ;) oh well)

Back to the Seeds ..

Well , surely someone will be able to shed some more light on this subject ... whadda ya reckon? ;)

Cheerz all , and take care of your seed :jedifight

Budman lol

I am also interested in info about long term seed storage.

Last year I used the last of my you-beaut pollen to produce seed in a number of varieties and have since then kept the seeds in zip-lock bags in the fridge (vegetable compartment) and thought I was doing the right thing.

If anyone who is REALLY in the know about these things could tell me if I have fucked up or not, and whether I should get them out or leave them where they are I would be very grateful.

Thanks fellas/ladies.