Size and age dont match up?

n3dic

G`day all,

Just wondering what you guys think. Me personally for 3 weeks and 4 days old compared to other CFL grows mine doesn't really come close to the size but in a way mine has more leaf sprouts all over compared to their plants. Im just wondering if anything is going wrong. Your help would be much appreciated. Ohh and also im thinking of adding rocks or something to aerate it a bit? what do you guys reckon that could be the problem???

cheers

n3dic

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/7889/closeupnm0.jpg

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/696/comparedtophonexf2.jpg

Compared to my phone......Bit small???

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/3176/marycw5.jpg

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/9859/setupshotwt3.jpg

Here is a shot of the set up......Got 15 seeds germinating underneath the plant to keep them warm.

NAME:Mary.

SPECIES:Unknown, bag seed from some tip top weed.

LIGHTING: 2x 48w Nelson cool white and a 20w Philps warm white. kept at about 1-2 inches away from top.

TEMPS:Night time 22c - Day time 30c

SOIL MIX:Seedling soil mix from Bunnings.

WATER:Tap water sometimes, filtted water..........Change it up every now and then.

PH LEVEL:6.0 - 6.2

FERT:Started giving it a powder fert that mixes with water at 1 and a half weeks as they were turning purple and was told to start feeding them as it was a N deficiency. As soon as I started feeding them they were growing great and now they have like stopped grow in height and width but more like leaf sprouts are all over the stem. Shouldn't the plants leafs height and width be bigger by now???

FAN: On non-stop.

LIGHT CYCLE:On 24 hrs.

Purple aint a N deficience, more like P or K.

That's what i told them, i did my research on the net. I don't know im only 19 and these guys are a fair bit older and have been growing for a while so like who was i to tell them kinda thing. So they pretty much convinced me into it. Will try just giving them straight water for a week see how they go.

Edited by n3dic

Slow growth can also be caused by the PH being off, which in turn leads to nute deficiency as well. 6.0 - 6.2 sounds a bit low for soil.

Its looks relatively healthy, might be easier to see with a pic, without the light right on top of it though.

You could just have a slow plant, ie: if you had 10 plants, it would be cosidered the runt?

I'm in the middle of my first grow, and ive got 2/4 plants which are pretty tiny for their age, I had them in soil initially with a PH of 6.5, and that was probably to low still, bout 7 seems to be the go from what ive read on here. Also temps above 27° can slow em down, fan blowing right on them drys them out, light can be too close at a young age, even with a CFL, there's stacks of stuff hehe.

Do lots of reading, you'll figure it out soon enough :scratchin:

Either way, Goodluck with her!

Wrangler.

Edited by Wrangler556

To Wrangler556 thanks for the info dude. :scratchin: my gf said i should turn the fan off as it dries it out. hahahha she was finally right about something. ive had the fan off for 2cdays now. also hav been giving it just water and the lil buggers top leafs are like growing way faster comparred to before. the whole time during the grow ive had the lights 1-2 inch away from the top. the other day i read up that it works better at 4 inchs away. so i got it at that now and i think its working. in relation to the PH level might sound stupid or whatever so im sorry but when i put the PH probe into the dirt (dry) it will come up at 7 and stay at 7. but once the soil is wet it will drop and indicate a measurement. also Wrangler556 i hate reading. hate it alot. but when it comes to something of my interest ill read until i know what i need. ive ben reading all different types of forums and asking people about growing just so my knowledge on it is up to date so i dont look like a fool. the only problem ive found with gathering infomation off the internet and asking around is that people tell you different things and being a noob like myself its hard to decide on who to listen to but yeah......thanks again for the help.

To microman, dude thats a pretty awsome chart. really shows about the Ph levels and stuff. thanks matey, also how do you control the Ph in the soil. i did agriculture in school but didnt really pay attention. im in a mad rush now just very busy moving shit around from one house to another. your help is very appreciated.

also i really want to grow this last plant i got. i started wit 5 but gave 2 to a mate who gave me the seeds, 2 to another mate who grows and needs a mother plant again (plus he gave me free weed) so i thought i owe him in a way. so now im left with this last one, all the boys giv me shit that i wont get it going and so on. so i really want to prove the basterds wrong. so honestly all your help is much appreciated. thanks again to all

cheers

n3dic

Edited by n3dic

Everyone makes such a big deal about pH. yes it governs the chemical speciation of nutrients and therefore can affect availability but it doesnt make that big of a difference. That chart is nice and looks great but its an over simplification of complicated soil chemical processes. Also plant roots have chemical tricks to play to alter pH around roots or aquire nutrients in non-ideal pH. Any pH between 5 and 6.9 is fine. In addition if a pH is 6-6.2 good luck changing it accurately. how much lime per g soil to increase pH by X? to do this requires other values like pH buffer capacity. Therefore if pH is between 5 and 6.9 leave it alone 6 - 6.2 is very near perfect. If you have added nutes then sweet.

To put things in perspective i often see pastures and crops doing fine in soil as low as 4.8.

cheers danoz,

im at my gfz tonight. i movd them into a grow cupboard in the shed new home. so i wont see them till tomorow hopefully all is well.

peace

n3dic

EDIT: btw i added 3 CFL. 3x 15w 1 cool and 2 warm. i know cool is better now but thats what i found in the shed and im not really spending anything on the grow.

Edited by n3dic