48 hour days

This is my first grow. For numerous reasons I find it more practical to give the plants 36 hours of light 12 hours of dark.

MJ relies on the length of the dark period to tell it when to flower, so it shouldnt care about the fact a day takes 2 days.

Anyway, things appear to be flowering nicely, and ill continue to use this lighting scheme unless someone can convince me im a d*ckhead before its too late

Its not stuck in veg. Has been flowering for about 2 weeks now. When would the hermies start to show up?

If they dont turn hermi, would the extra stress have more negative effects than the positive effect of 3 times the light?

I wouldnt be mucking around with this if it didnt "appear" to be working!

Ill keep you posted on the number of seeds.....

Yea mate you might be lucky and they will be all normal, if they were going play up i reckon you would have noticed it prolly by now, keep a close eye out though, i wouldnt be keen on doing it regularly just cause its so 'unnatural' but i guess indoor growing is unnatural to start with anyways ...

but hey, you are doing ok so all is good, cannabis is very resilient and has an enormous will to survive ..

all the best with 'em :bow:

:bow: As others have said, it's the 12 hrs dark that's important. During light hours the plants make a hormone that stops them flowering. During the 12hrs of darkness they don't and this hormone breaks down which allows flowering to take place. Most cannabis strains need a minimum of 12 hours uninterrupted dark time to reduce this hormone to a level that allows flowering. The day length is of no importance in regard to weather a plant flowers or not but interrupting dark hours with periods of light will upset the process and stress your plants and alot of strains will reverse sex. Increasing or interrupting day hours with dark won't stop them flowering.

:bow: From my experience, I found yield is slightly up but finish time was longer which canceled out the yield increase. Besides that, like has been said by others, some plants will experience a certain degree of stress and can reverse sex. At the end of the day, unless you are growing plants that have been bred to take full advantage of a different light cycle, you are best sticking to the 12/12 that most have been bred under to get the best from them imo. Good to see someone trying something different though. I'm keen to see if your results match mine.

Peace MongyMan

Heya,

Im still new here, but from what ive read and come to understand, its the dark cycle thats important, 12 hours of uniterupted dark is ideal for flowering.

The MJ plants gather energy and nutrients during the light period, and store it away, then use it when its dark, so I can see one of 2 things happening- Your cycle will have absolutely no effect on the plant, as the magic happens when its dark, so by increasing your daylight to 36hours may just prolong the flowering cycle, or... Your plants will have a crap load of stuff saved up and go nuts during the dark cycle, however, im not sure if there is a set limit on what they can use.

Either way, will be interesting to see what happens!

Goodluck!

Wrangler.

Edited by Wrangler556

The results are much like you guys predicted. Plant got angry and stopped budding.

No balls though, that seems to only happen if the plants got the genes for it.

The other one though is nearly done on 14/12 so a little extra light works, lots does bad bad things