Some great philosophy lectures

Ok, this will undoubtly sound like the most boring thing ever, but hear me out...

Anyways, a few years ago I was in a long term (over 10 year) relationship that broke down, and was left thinking "What the fuck do I do now?". So while I'm pondering that question with the help of a bag of reasonable weed, I almost accidentally stumble upon a series of Philosophy lectures (I've always enjoyed philosophy based literature), and I'm not kidding, the guy doing the lectures has changed my life. He sounds a bit like Mr Garrison from South Park (think texan), and is completely awesome. Highly recommended, and it makes you smarter to boot!

Each lecture is 6 or so talks, each being about 45 minutes. It's a lot of talking, and can seem pointless as who has the time to listen to all that? The thing is, they usually start like standard lectures, but when he kicks in (which he does in every lecture), it gets really good. He talks about everything from power, drugs, life, God, you name it, it's probably in there somewhere!

So yeah, you can get the lectures from this site, and if you give it some time, I hope it's never considered wasted time! I'd probably start with the Self Under Siege - Philosophy in the 20th Century series. Put it on, sit back, relax, and listen! The best thing I ever did!

Edited by Science vs Religion

Another great set of discussions is the Richard Dawkins set of discussions he held with a few other Atheists (Hitchens, Dennett, Sam Harris). They talk about art, Islam, Christianity, and a bunch of other stuff. Really interesting stuff, and free!

You can grab them from his site. Again, they could be considered boring, but if you're into discussions regarding religion, the 2 hours goes so quickly, and you just want more!

I was a life-long atheist until I had some really good freshly imported dutch LSD with pot

(breed unknown) in a quiet situation, went 'inward' & experienced multiple levels of reality

in awesomely vivid colour. I saw things that I'd never heard about before that time,

then later read about while doing some research into what I'd experienced.

(There was no visual distortion as is often experienced on good LSD doses)

I remember much of what I saw/learned, yet there is still some stuff that I remember

choosing NOT to remember, some of which I've since managed to recall consciously,

and coped with, while I know there is still more that I'm not ready for yet.

- Beyond Mindblowing... for a science-physics loving atheist especially.

My reasons for choosing to 'forget' certain things were due to fears of the implications

of some of the knowledge rather than fear itself. Sort of hard to explain.

The funniest thing was that even though it scared the crap out of me,

I had to keep going 'back' to find out what I'd chosen to forget......

... Then I'd choose to forget AGAIN (and AGAIN, and AGAIN, etc, etc...).

I still don't believe in external GOD type religions/beliefs as I've seen

more than enough to convince me that there is WAY MORE to/beyond

this 'reality' than meets the eye, much of which would seem impossible

or contradictory from the viewpoint of 'this level of reality'.

Now I'm learning how to do deep meditation & doing LOTS of reading

on Ancient Hindu / Buddhist / Shamanistic Beliefs, to prepare myself

to be capable of recalling even more of what some part of me keeps

chosing to forget. I have 'suspicions' yet still need to KNOW.

I'd be really interested in other peoples similar experiences with or without drugs.

- Cheers :P

Hey people, just came across this Canna Nation site by accident and immediatley signed up, i always thought there should be a site like this, just never thought to look!

Just downloaded the audio lectures of Rick Roderick as posted by ReligionvScience's post, thanks man, looks exactly what I've been looking for, im studying philosophy, socilogy and psychology at Uni just now and I've been wanting to dive a little deeper into these enlightening and mind altering subjects, these audio lectures will be an intellectual, not to mention spiritual, rollercoaster im sure (plus ive got some fine, semi-dried, homegrown to keep my mind open as it can be)

Sam

Knock On The Sky And Listen To The Sound
- Zen Buddha Saying