Audio Hallucinations

eexpee

Question

Hey guys lol

Well, to start things off I quit for 7 weeks due to a tonsillectomy, which turned out fine, and now, im back to smoking again! For about 6 months or so before my operation I was generally smoking low grade cannabis, mostly indica. Then I quit. Now, 7 weeks later I have started smoking chronic from the streets. I had half a cone last night knowing it was strong, and BAM it hit me. I started to get very anxious and my heart was beating pretty fucking fast. Then the paranoia set in and I was convinced the possums on my roof were some sort of creature trying to get at me. Though I could rationalise it in my head, I was still under a lot of anxiety. But the problem was, I started to get really real audio hallucinations. If any of you have seen Fear and Loathing, the scene where Hunter takes the adrenechrome and puts the towel over his head and DR. Gonza it screaming in the background. That was racing through my head to the point it sounded like I was actually hearing it! And it wouldn't go away! Other sounds went through my head like music and stuff, all sounding so clear and loud. This made me freak.

Anyway, enough of my longish story, what Im really asking is, is it normal to have 'loud' audio hallucinations from strong chronic? Especially after not smoking for a while? I don't want this to be an indication of any psychiatric illness...or am I just being paranoid?

I'd like to hear your thoughts, Thanx

PS - It's not laced

10 answers to this question

You gave it a break , then came back , Less is more , you just got really stoned dude lol People build an immunity to grass , and it doesnt affect them as it used to and they get used to it ! BUT , when ya have a break from it and try it again , it's awesome lol Just enjoy , as I'm sure as you smoke more , you will get used to it again and be fine :)

What you describe in terms of the paranoia is not uncommon especially in older tokers. When I was younger and heard of or spoke to ex stoners who had quit because it made them paranoid or simply stopped being fun I always thought yeah right, that will never happen with me. Well guess what, thats exactly where I am right now.

Our brain chemistry changes as we age and also I do believe being a chronic smoker over a long period of time can magnify these changes. Also it may depend on what other psychedelics you have taken in the past. I have done (among other things) DMT a few times and the trip is mostly visual, however there is a kind of buzzing/vibrating sound as well. Now when I have a toke of some strong gear after not having any for a while I hear that same mild buzzing, but only on a very subtle level, ie if there was loud music on I wouldn't notice it. Nevertheless it is kinda like a mild DMT flashback with how I feel and that buzzing sound so I can kinda relate to what you are saying about the audio hallucinations. I also feel some pretty extreme paranoia. At the time I sometimes think I've been living like a zombie and getting high has made me aware of all this shit that has been going on around me that I've been too stupid to notice while straight. Sometimes I do get a true insight into something when I'm high, but most of the time its just drug induced paranoia in my experience and I've learned to ignore it.

At the end of the day its a simple decision, and everyone just has to make it for themselves. The trick is to have the good sense to recognise when you need to change your habits for your own good. If toking makes you uncomfortably paranoid or is just not enjoyable anymore it should be a pretty easy decision to cut down or stop, but not so easy to do in practice I've noticed, especially when you've had the "stoner for life" mentality for so long.

lol

Edited by linbaba

Hey there,

I have somewhat experienced the same thing however it was more of a roaring - roaring quite akin to that of a 'roaring silence' if you have ever experienced that; if you live in the city you havn't heard the roaring silence, too bad because I find it neat.

Last night, for example, I finally found some really decent stuff, and (in waves) I was hit with a strong feeling of being rediculously stoned, and (like a wave) it would cease, then start again.

Good stuff,

-Emerdale

1 cone did that???!! must be the real deal >:(

mate i woulda had another 5 to wash it down :bongon:

trust me, its all in the head, specially after being off it for a long time, ur bound to have some weird encounters with possums and hearing noises... lol

on a serious note, i would have taken something weaker so that my body can slowly adapt to the low dosage, however, if chronic is available....me being me.....I would definitely go for stronger stuff :sick

if ur worried bout the signs of mental illnesses etc, then i would recommend seeing a doctor if these symptons persist as u sesh up, but try not to think bout it. Paranoia will always be there... more or less

I used to get that a lot when i would smoke up in places i wasn't familiar with. I remember i always used to be scared of cops/dogs when i smoked in places i felt unsafe. Now i generally smoke in places i feel secure, and if i start feeling anxious or paranoid i just trip to my ipod.

but yeh like the others say its all in your mind and sometimes i used to just tell myself you'll looking at things from a different perspective which still wasn't all that pleasant, but a wee bit interesting.

I also believe that the negative effects from weed are born from a restlessness in yourself. Often when i was having a lot of trouble and a bit unhappy in my life and i smoked, the weed just made me feel worse.

Yeah, it sure does amplify what your feeling to an extent. It's not a problem anymore :bongon: I had 1 cone last night, was feeling a bit anxious, had another and I was cruising >:(

Thanx for your reassurance and I'll be sure to keep a look out for any problems, but as you guys say, it's probablly nothing.

What you describe in terms of the paranoia is not uncommon especially in older tokers. When I was younger and heard of or spoke to ex stoners who had quit because it made them paranoid or simply stopped being fun I always thought yeah right, that will never happen with me. Well guess what, thats exactly where I am right now.

A few of my mates had WAYYYYYYY TOO much old-style thai years ago when you could still get it & started to lose the plot (HIGH THCV Content). Personally, I noticed that if I chose to ignore the paranoia / hallucinations & was pig-headed about it, the problem went away & never came back. Those that dwelled / gave too much focus to the paranoia / hallucinations ended up having problemzzzz. Same deal with the MUCHIES...

*mild DMT flashback*

When on pot I sometimes get LSD flashbacks IF around people who are on Good LSD (weird). Even weirder, sometimes I can even see & describe to them what they're seeing.

Sadly over the past 12 months the quality of LSD around here has gone SEVERELY DOWN HILL :scratchin:

If I have GOOD LSD &&&& Pot I end up disconnected from this reality & see such amazing shit that even I am BLOWN_AWAY. Pot with LSD seems to be the trigger for me to go to other levels of awareness that i'd never have believed possible before experiencing them.

I have a very strong-stubborn (yet open) mind which has saved my sanity from severely overdoing numerous mind expanding drugs, thankfully. I'm an explorer at heart & can't let go when I find new levels of awareness to explore. When things get far too intense I sort of meditate to block out what I can't cope with, which so far has worked for me and saved my sanity.

& still I keep going :-)