OK , I made a new grow room and put my plants in it . They were removed from the bedroom cupboard to the new room in the garage . Problem is , it's too bloody cold of a night ! We had minus 4 here overnight .

They are in perlite , in pots , that are sitting in kitty litter trays , that I hand water every week . I raised the pots off the floor by sitting them on styro foam boxes .

How can I overcome this night time temp problem ? I turned the lights on so they get lit overnight , and dark during the day . The daytime (lights on) temps are about 27 degrees , but the night time temps (lights off) are down to Zero !

Cheers

CG

OK , I made a new grow room and put my plants in it . They were removed from the bedroom cupboard to the new room in the garage . Problem is , it's too bloody cold of a night ! We had minus 4 here overnight .

They are in perlite , in pots , that are sitting in kitty litter trays , that I hand water every week . I raised the pots off the floor by sitting them on styro foam boxes .

How can I overcome this night time temp problem ? I turned the lights on so they get lit overnight , and dark during the day . The daytime (lights on) temps are about 27 degrees , but the night time temps (lights off) are down to Zero !

Cheers

CG

Hi CG,

Have a look at my post "Second attempt" in the grow diaries forum. It may help! The drain heaters can be obtained from refrigeration wholesalers. Not hard to connect they have instructions on how to set up.

lol

since you already have the lights running during the night i think the only thing you could do is put a small heater in there. a small fan one with a heating element should be enough depending on the size of your grow room. you should also put it on a timer or use a thermostat to control it so things dont get too hot, but by the sounds of things that would be pretty hard to do lol

I saw your post Brick , but I dont think that will work for me, as I like to pull the plants out for pruning etc . I think a heat mat might be the way to go . Anyone know where to get one at a reasonable price ?

A fan heater also scares me , as I will be taking away the humidity .

Edited by Closet Grower

once grew in a garden shed controlling temp was such a prob which is why inside is so good if u can

--To fix the prob purchase a 240 plug that has a built in adjutable thermostat these cost $80 from any good hydro shop or ebay.

-- Plug your exhaust vent into the thermostat

THe down fall of this system is that you have to be running at least a couple of 400 or higher HPS globes as these produce alot of heat. i kept room warm in 1-2 degree nights with 2 X 600hps.

You prob already figured out how it works but if not - the thermostat switches off if temp is under the set temp say 24 degrees depending what u set it on (u can also adjutst it to switch on below a certian temp) then by having ur exhaust vent plugged in the low temp should turn it off allowing the lights to heat up the room when the room gets over the set temp on comes the exhaust.

If its a big shed i suggest making a small grow tent with pine and that black and white plastic stuff (heavy grade)

This system would not work with low temp lamps

And one more thing the thermostat will pay for itself in saved electricity because u have prevented the use of a heater

PS if u dont have hps lash out and buy they are the best

Edited by danoz

go with the heatmat option, if you keep the roots warm the tops will take care of themselves. i've been using this system over the english winter for a number of years and it's good. when the roots are cold they tend not to work so well.

i got my mats from a pet shop. they go under vivariums and aquaria to keep cold blooded animals active.

ps. i had to buy an extra one for the cats to sit on.

........... if you keep the roots warm the tops will take care of themselves.

lol I agree tony. Same thing if you have a problem with heat, just need to keep the roots cool and the tops will take care of themselves. I get extreems here from 5 below zero in winter to over 50c in summer.

Peace MongyMan