lighting installation help

hey i have been looking for things that i have thought is called a y adaptor to connect my two cfl's into. i havnt been able to find theseany where so i ended up buying something called a Twin PAR 38 fllodlight. the guy at the shop told me that a cfl screw in globe would fit in so i swapped back the bayonet globes i had and got screw in ones. it says on that it is ment for a PAR 38 globe so i hope he is right.

i hear you have to strip an electrical cord and then wire it to this holding thing but not sure where the cords go and all that.

i left some pictures so hopefully someone can help us out.

am i better off taking this thing back and getting something else? if so what should i get that will make it easy and what shops? i swear everywhere that i go and ask for a y adaptor no one knows what it is and one person said he thinks there illegal haha.

post-11455-1218443336_thumb.jpg

post-11455-1218443350_thumb.jpg

hey i have been looking for things that i have thought is called a y adaptor to connect my two cfl's into. i havnt been able to find theseany where so i ended up buying something called a Twin PAR 38 fllodlight. the guy at the shop told me that a cfl screw in globe would fit in so i swapped back the bayonet globes i had and got screw in ones. it says on that it is ment for a PAR 38 globe so i hope he is right.

i hear you have to strip an electrical cord and then wire it to this holding thing but not sure where the cords go and all that.

i left some pictures so hopefully someone can help us out.

am i better off taking this thing back and getting something else? if so what should i get that will make it easy and what shops? i swear everywhere that i go and ask for a y adaptor no one knows what it is and one person said he thinks there illegal haha.

Just cut those brown and blue cables at the top where they form a loop. Then strip the ends and the ends of you power lead, join all the blues together and all the browns together with your power lead. To be safe you will need to get some electrical connectors (they used to be called blue point connectors)from bunnings or a hardware store. Just tell the guy/girl you want to connect up some lights and need some cable connectors. Good luck.

The cfl's should screw into the holders ok.

thanks for the help. i ended up taking it back. the globes didnt fit into the holders cause the plastic covering was too short. i could have cut some of it off but decided id take it back and keep looking for some splitters or whatever there called but no luck apparently there illegal. so i came home and broke apart a couple of lamps and are using them now but the problem is they stay vertical and i cant find anything from bunnings or whereever to get them horizontal. the splitters would have been good. haha so much time wasting.

anyway few of my seeds have cracked and have got them under 2 30 watts on 14/10, that will be for about a month then they will be going outside. :wacko:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HIGH-QUALITY-ANGLED...1742.m153.l1262

Single, angled lampholders are available it that helps. That's not quite the model I was after, but you get the idea. You could put 2 side by side.

The only twin lampholder units I can recall seeing are the ones you tried to use, apart from the old style splitter types that plugged into one socket, that I haven't seen for a long time.

Also, the lampholders above would have had the ends of the blue and brown wires poked into opposite lampholders for packaging/shipping. Only one brown, one blue wire required per lamp.

thats probably what i am after then ill get around to getting something soon but for now i cant be farked going to a lighting store for a bit. yeah the guy at the shops said that they were made illegal a couple years ago because people were putting too many amps into one and it was melting and blowing shit up. haha yeah safety first in australia.. a bit too politcally correct here.

:wacko: