International Seed Banks: Does the mail through to Oz?

Hey Yous,

I have seen the ads for international seedbanks in Europe & Canada here on the site, and was wondering what the odds are that such a package would make it through Aussie Customs. In my former life as an American I ordered from Canada several times and had no problem. But then again, I've noticed that here in Oz the Customs Service actually does their job. In the US they make a lot of noise, but generally rely on tough sentences as a deterrent instead of hiring additional customs personnel which would mean taxes - and Americans don't like taxes.

I'm not kidding. On at least 2 separate occasions during Uni in the American Heartland, I imported cases of eight bottles of Czech absinthe, and on another occasion I ordered a whole box of coca tea from Peru which got to the central US with no problem. Absinthe is not banned per se, but you certainly can't sell it for consumption, and coca tea is just plain illegal. I know that either of these would not have made it through Aussie customs. However, I know that its also much easier to hide a few beans in a regular postage envelope that might not attract attention. Do any of you have some data so that I can make an informed judgement on the issue?

Many Thanks,

SOA