PH too high? Soil grow.

I have a problem, think my ph is way too high. Plants are in soil. 50/50 worm castings and organic potting mix. I transplanted one plant and gave it a light spray with a weak solution of Seasol, about 2 mill to one ltr of water. The result was the yellowing of the leaves and slowed growth. The other plant I have left in original pot and I gave that a spray as well not as much as the transplanted one. But it has slight yellowing on the tips of the new growth. I am just giving them straight water atm.

post-15335-1216522806_thumb.jpg

post-15335-1216522892_thumb.jpg

post-15335-1216523175_thumb.jpg

Above is the transplanted plant.

post-15335-1216522915_thumb.jpg

post-15335-1216523120_thumb.jpg

This one has yellowing on tips of new growth.

post-15335-1216522875_thumb.jpg

:) What's the drainage like brick, they don't need alot of water when you fist transplant them. Worm castings can also tend to clump and stay soggy for a long time in pots. the first single leaves yellowing isn't a prob, they die off anyway. I'd stop watering it and leave it to do it's thing for a few days and it should come back fine I think. Can you test the PH at all. Most nurseries sell cheap soil test kits. Most commercial mixes are fairly Ph neutral, I'd be surprised if it was a Ph prob if you only just re-potted them.

Peace MongyMan

yea perlite needs adding to your mix , no nutes as yet just test the ph of the water you give them , should be around 7.0 for the dirt .. , yellow leaves give me the shits , even though it is a sign post , i rip em off and grow em on more vigouressly , fan em , bit of superthrive ... no bug sprays , just spray with the same water you feed with .

ev :)

:) What's the drainage like brick, they don't need alot of water when you fist transplant them. Worm castings can also tend to clump and stay soggy for a long time in pots. the first single leaves yellowing isn't a prob, they die off anyway. I'd stop watering it and leave it to do it's thing for a few days and it should come back fine I think. Can you test the PH at all. Most nurseries sell cheap soil test kits. Most commercial mixes are fairly Ph neutral, I'd be surprised if it was a Ph prob if you only just re-potted them.

Peace MongyMan

Thanks MM. I haven't given it a lot of water. I have one of those $20 Bunnings ph and moisture tester (all in one type) It was telling me soil was dry and ph nearly hitting 8. I did give it a good soak after transplant not enough to have water running out the bottom though. ok I'll leave it for few days to see what happens.

Ta very much.

yea perlite needs adding to your mix , no nutes as yet just test the ph of the water you give them , should be around 7.0 for the dirt .. , yellow leaves give me the shits , even though it is a sign post , i rip em off and grow em on more vigouressly , fan em , bit of superthrive ... no bug sprays , just spray with the same water you feed with .

ev :)

Thanks ev. Good education this. Learning what no to do. Thanks again.

:) Mmm a Ph of 8 is a bit high for most strains. Mabey it is an early sign of Ph problems, especially if the soil is dry like the tester you have says. It is easier to correct a Ph problem in hydro than soil once it's in the pots, it's best to have it right before you start. You need to add sulfur in some form. The yellow tips on the new growth is a lack of calcium caused by a lack of magnesium so you can kill two birds with one stone buy adding epsom salts which is magnesium sulfate. I'd mix up one level teaspoon to 2-3 ltrs of water and give them a good water with that if the soil is dry like the tester says (stick your finger down into the pot to check the tester is working properly. You want the soil to be moist not wet) and see if it has made any diff to the Ph in a couple of days.

Peace MongyMan

:) Mmm a Ph of 8 is a bit high for most strains. Mabey it is an early sign of Ph problems, especially if the soil is dry like the tester you have says. It is easier to correct a Ph problem in hydro than soil once it's in the pots, it's best to have it right before you start. You need to add sulfur in some form. The yellow tips on the new growth is a lack of calcium caused by a lack of magnesium so you can kill two birds with one stone buy adding epsom salts which is magnesium sulfate. I'd mix up one level teaspoon to 2-3 ltrs of water and give them a good water with that if the soil is dry like the tester says (stick your finger down into the pot to check the tester is working properly. You want the soil to be moist not wet) and see if it has made any diff to the Ph in a couple of days.

Peace MongyMan

Thanks MM will get some Epsom tomorrow. Don't trust these meters though too cheap and nasty. Next time I go out side for smoke I will do a finger test on the soil. :)

Used the meter in the fresh water I have sitting in a bucket and it had 7ph.

Peace MongyMan

Hey MM thanks mate. Stuck my finger in the soil and it was dry as. Got the Epsom salts gave both plants a good soak waited half an hour and the ph is back to 7. Will recheck tomorrow if it gets too low I have some fish emulsion NPK 9% 2% 6%. Thanks again everyone for the help.