New weapon launched in drug war

• Admin
CANNABIS suppliers will be easier to track after the compiling of a national genetic database of cannabis samples.

The database of 500 plants, seized in drug busts across Australia, culminates 15 years of research by the Australian Federal Police, the Australian National University and the Canberra Institute of Technology.

It could help break organised crime rings and identify legal hemp plantations being used as a cover for the production of drugs.

AFP forensic and data centres national manager James Robertson said he believed the database was the first of its kind in the world.

''In our view, it's the first time that forensic botany's reached this stage from a validation viewpoint,'' Dr Robertson said.

''That's important, because if forensic botany in the future is going to become a more important part of the forensic scene, then we need to produce the sorts of tools that reach the standard.''

Scientists built the database of DNA profiles from plants grown in fields, hydroponic operations and pots.

They analysed DNA from root, stem and leaf samples seized in raids around Australia, focusing on 10 characteristics of DNA called short tandem repeat markers.

They showed there was enough genetic diversity in Australian cannabis to identify individual plants from the 10 markers.

The results of their work will be published in the July edition of the Journal of Forensic Science.

The ANU school of botany and zoology's Professor Rod Peakall said establishing links between the plants was a complex process.

Professor Peakall said the database would become more powerful as samples were added, but the genetic evidence would have to be combined with other evidence to support a conviction.

''DNA evidence never stands alone, but the database is another tool to be used in the legal process,'' Professor Peakall said.

The ANU is looking to set up a new Master of Molecular Genetic Analysis program to meet the growing demand for experts in the field.

The AFP hopes the database will be ready for police operations in just over a year.

Author: NYSSA SKILTON

Date: 20/07/08

Source: The Canberra Times

Copyright: Copyright © 2008. Fairfax Media.

a dna log of every strain would be useful for growers and smokers, but it will be of no use to the police for one simple reason. PEOPLE TRADE CLONES!!!

whats going to happen when the find out that every plant in a person's grow room is genetically identical and to make matters worse the genes match ones from a bust on the other side of the country? maybe they'll wise up and say that clones must have been traded or something, but finding the original source of a strain is going to be next to impossible so this is nothing more than a properganda tactic to make the police force look like they are taking the war on drugs into the 21st century :)

I think this is really good for personal growers. Especially if they are using their own seeds/strains. I remember reading about this technology some time ago and I was going to use it in my defence if I was ever busted for growing. (don't have to worry about that anymore as I do not grow/smoke anymore).

They can't say that you are selling it if they can't find traces of it in the community.

"It could help break organised crime rings and identify legal hemp plantations being used as a cover for the production of drugs."

Aww heck I know a way that would break organised crime ring for sure. :peace:

And what nub would plant his tokin' weed in a paddock full of pollen?

And people give me hard time when I whine about the ludicrous amount of tax we pay.

I'm sure the people who think up this stuff must believe there is some sort of global conspiracy in relation to Cannabis, some sort of evil master plan that needs breaking or cracking.

When are they going to realise that less and less people actually give a fuck about their drug war?

As far as this news affecting home growers, it won't, unless your selling, but I'd sure be interested to check that database out :peace: