Old dope dodges jail

Old dope dodges jail

Elissa Hunt

July 16, 2008 05:40pm

heraldsun.com.au

<http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24029813-2862,00.html>

AN ILL pensioner who said his six-foot-tall cannabis crop was for personal use has avoided jail.

John Regan, 65, suffers chronic back pain, pancreatitis and emphysema, and walks with the help of a walking stick.

The County Court heard police executing a search warrant at his Darley home last August uncovered a sophisticated hydroponic set-up powered by stolen electricity.

Prosecutor Cheri Lee said there were eight six-foot mature plants weighing 9.4kg, 13 smaller plants, 16 seedlings, scales, dried cannabis and lamps.

An electrical bypass had been set up and Regan used more than $1000 worth of power to grow his crop.

When interviewed he admitted he had been growing the drugs for several months but claimed he was not trafficking them, explaining they were for his own use.

Regan, who has a prior conviction from 2003 for a similar offence, pleaded guilty at Melbourne Magistrates' Court earlier this year to trafficking, cultivating, possessing and using cannabis and theft of electricity.

He was given nine month' jail and ordered to serve three, but appealed to the County Court asking for the term to be wholly suspended.

The court heard Regan claimed he was not physically capable of trafficking the drugs but pleaded guilty to that charge because of the quantity found.

But Ms Lee conceded Regan had co-operated with police and pleaded guilty, saying the case may not be an appropriate vehicle for a message of general deterrence given his medical history.

Judge Christine Thornton said she was satisfied he suffered health problems and set aside his original sentence, imposing a nine-month term suspended for two years and a $200 fine

:) it's time I got I myself a walking frame :)

Damn, they're a bit pricey though . . . [maybe Oz Stoners could get a discount rate for a bulk buy? :) ]

http://www.ghss.com.au/images/Aframe_bbrakes1.JPG

Quack reckons I've got a wheelchair heading my way, wonder if I were ever caught doing anything nefarious I'd get away with it on that basis alone, bloody doubt it? :) [not that I'd 'steal' anything anyway] :)