Record $500m cannabis haul

Georgina Robinson |

July 3, 2008 - 1:37PM

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/articles/2...4950920869.html

Police say further investigations into a drug plantation in Queensland's Southern Downs have uncovered up to $500 million worth of cannabis product.

Chief Superintendent Ross Barnett said the massive haul, which included 20,000 planted trees, eight tonnes of dried cannabis and several kilometres of irrigation piping, made the discovery one of the largest in the country.

Officers initially estimated the seizure at $42 million - less than 10 per cent of its revised worth.

The plants were found on a remote, 4000 acre property at Warroo, near Inglewood, yesterday after months of police work and a crucial tip-off from a member of the public.

An alleged harvesting operation was also concealed in two sheds said to be twice the size of a suburban house block.

Police also found a fully-loaded 9mm pistol and Mr Barnett said significant stores of ammunition for "high-powered rifles" had been uncovered since then.

A father and son, the owners of the property for the last four years, were remanded in custody after a brief appearance in Warwick Magistrates Court yesterday.

They are due to reappear on August 27 and will face charges of producing and possessing a dangerous drug, unlawful possession of a handgun, possessing property suspected of being the proceeds of a crime and possessing property suspected to have been used in connection with the commission of a drug offence.

Mr Barnett said police were searching for between four and six people who were believed to have been involved in production on the property or looking after the crop.

"What other enterprise may sit behind that is yet to be determined but that's obviously the focus of our ongoing investigation," he said.

The probe would also determine where the product was headed.

Officers were expected to remain on site for several days to come as the investigation continued, Mr Barnett said.

I started a new thread - just for the topic heading.

Hopefully the Qld police will leave the little guys alone now.

Even though these guys were going to hard,I still support large scale commercial operations and feel sympathy for them when they get pinched.Not all smokers have the opportunity to grow for themselves or know a home grower to get weed off.They need somewhere to score.Even us growers run out of perso and need to score between picks.In QLD theres no where near enough product to meet demand.As members of the Australian Cannabis community we all should hang up another light and help out with this chronic shortage of decent cheap weed!!

Ah i think you forgot to factor in the 8000 kilos of dried heads?! Probably still an overestimation but yeah...still would have been worth a shit load. About 400,000 2 gram sticks.... at $25.00 a throw that'd be $10M. And shit the average stick up in my part of the world is starting to average no more than 1.5 g's now anyway. Plus whatever those 20,000 plants would've yielded. And I'm not even gonna try to guess how many plants out of those were ready for harvest and how fat those girls would've gotten outside in prime conditions. A huge blow to QLD though, always sucks to hear about it happening. Thoughts and prayers go out to growers.

Damn! 500million or not that is still a whole lotta weed....I hope the father son team dont lose their farm, although i doubt they have a 'legal' leg to stand on. Ahhh well boys you win some you lose some.

If your going to run the risk of growing a crop............you might as well up the ante!

INSPIRATIONAL THOUGH ISNT IT... MUUHAHAHAHAHA :)

Damn! 500million or not that is still a whole lotta weed....I hope the father son team dont lose their farm, although i doubt they have a 'legal' leg to stand on. Ahhh well boys you win some you lose some.

If your going to run the risk of growing a crop............you might as well up the ante!

INSPIRATIONAL THOUGH ISNT IT... MUUHAHAHAHAHA :)

hehehehe that reminds me of what my coach use to say..... " If your gonna do it... do it balls to the wall or dont fucking bother at all"