Australian Medical Association Launches Publication On Health Risks Of

grace

Question

Australian Medical Association Launches Publication On Health Risks Of Cannabis Use

Article Date: 28 Jun 2008 - 2:00 PDT

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/113191.php

To coincide with Drug Action Week 2008, the Australian Medical Association today launched a brochure about the short and long-term effects of cannabis use.

Take a closer look: Cannabis and your health 2008 is the AMA's assessment of new evidence that has emerged about the nature and effect of cannabis use.

Drug Action Week 2008 is held nationally to raise awareness about alcohol and other drugs issues in Australia.

AMA President, Dr Rosanna Capolingua, said cannabis was the most common illicit drug used in Australia, particularly among young people, and it was important that they had access to accurate and easily-understood information about the potential harms of the drug.

"Doctors are concerned that people of all ages aren't aware of the dangers of cannabis use," she said.

"Many Australians, including teenagers and their parents, visit their GP on a regular basis. These visits are an opportunity for doctors to provide patients with credible and authoritative information about cannabis use."

Take a closer look: Cannabis and your health 2008 relates the facts in an objective way, includes information on the mental health effects of the drug's use, and provides sources of advice for people who wish to know more.

Dr Capolingua said the AMA existed to advocate for patients and to ensure that they received the best health system for their needs.

"The AMA will continue its efforts to improve the health of Australians through support for medical professionalism and public health education," she said.

The brochure also includes information on the effects of short-term use of cannabis in small and large doses, long-term use, smoking cannabis during pregnancy, how long the effects last, psychological dependence and driving or operating machinery under the influence of the drug.

In 2007, 33.5 per cent of Australians over the age of 14 had used cannabis at least once.

Nearly 13 per cent of 14 to 19-year-olds (221,700 young people) had used cannabis in the last 12 months.

Take a closer look: Cannabis and your health 2008 (PDF)

AMA Brochure: http://www.ama.com.au/youth/code/AMACannabisBrochure.pdf

Edited by grace

Wasn't a bad brochure actually. Their main point seemed to be that if you do have some kind of mental issue then stay away from MJ, which is fair enough. They also reckon it can increase the risk of lung cancer but I have read a few papers that say the opposite, if it's a concern to anyone then use a vaporiser...before the bastards have them banned as well. ;-)

Agreed freddie and old rocker

"Many Australians, including teenagers and their parents, visit their GP on a regular basis. These visits are an opportunity for doctors to provide patients with credible and authoritative information about cannabis use."

Credible information

- teenagers shouldn't use any drugs

- if teenagers use any drugs they should definitely not, abuse any drugs

Everything in this pamphlet truly relates to alcohol, but to a far greater degree. Whereas, there are only casual 'links'

to the cannabis related harms discussed in this 'authoritarian' junk mail. There's a 4 times increase in the risk of psychotic illness (to those prone) with alcohol abuse - risk taking behaviour, dangerous driving, violence etc.

And the obvious 'smoking' related harms are not a slight shade of the harms of tobacco 'use' (let alone abuse).

So this pamphlet seems a little more like 'incredible' than credible.

Now why would incredible, authoritative cannabis information come from the AMA? What could its motive be, if obviously not teenage drug harm reduction/ health related?

Will watch with interest as the AMA sell the public on the idea of TGA approved sythetic thc, very soon...

So where would these pamphlets be located for the average Joe to find? I am thinking in doctor surgeries, hospitals, Centrelink, Universities etc. Why can't someone change the pamphlet somewhat to add a few facts and then print them out and "replace" the ones they find at the GP's or any other place they find them. I wonder how long it would take them to notice.

But all in all, I didnt find too much wrong with the pamphlet, but I agree that the AMA should be promoting vaporising/eating as a sensible alternative.

when it comes to drugs no political or medical organisation will condone harm minimization as it is seen to be giving up on the problem of drugs in society :thumbdown: they generally mention illegal drugs and determine all of them have no medicinal value so if anyone says use a vape or eat pot instead of smoking it they'll have they're balls handed to them in the media :bongon:

I thought the 2 pages were crap

There was only 1 positive point raised in the entire brochure, something about Cannabis making you laugh more, the rest just followed the same political dogma of the last 20 years.

Don't give these fuckers an inch. I'm happy to say Cannabis improves my life and makes me feel great. Simple.

What the hell does alcohol do to people with mental problems and adverse genetic predispositions? It's still legal and being promoted as safer but has killed and maimed THOUSANDS :bongon: ;) :thumbdown:

In a time gone by I trusted my doctor but not today. I tell what want him to know and anything else he can find out the hard way.

Once you have spoken words you can never take them back.

To my way of thinking doctors are in the grip of big pharma and big pharma has no patents on MJ.

On top of that everyone repeats the mantra that cannabis is no good even though they personally know nothing about it.

All this results in the fact I don't trust medical people for a balanced opinion.

However I would be very happy to have a doctor who was a stoner! :thumbdown: