There is some orchestrated talk that The Government is toying with the idea of exorcising vanilla and lemon essence from the supermarkets, because young people are drinking these instead of the now more expensive 'alcopops'. Seriously? Have you ever tried to get drunk on vanilla or lemon essence? For myself, I'd rather quaff bong-water, my own urine or sniff petrol than drink cooking essences.

Which young person – even one well and appreciably below average intelligence - is going to purchase bottles of essence to get drunk when there's cannabis? What explanations could be proffered by said young people for their essence excesses? “We're conducting a science experiment.” “I use it for colonic irrigation.”

When I was about their age I was getting plastered on the alcoholics' drink of choice: cheap port. I was also getting shit-faced on some of the best smoko I've ever had. I often recall the effect of that first sinsemella foil Gazbo and I sampled – that late afternoon of elderberry wine on the verandah, amid the aromatic tobacco smoke. There were even quality, real bargain-basement ports. 'Celebration Port' was one. Some barrels weren't labelled correctly and for less than two dollars you could drink yourself legless on a delicious port with sweet depth, gentle warmth and rich colour.

Admittedly, some alcoholics drink culinary flavourings but some also drink methylated spirits and sleep under bridges. If teenie-boppers are prepared to savour mixed essence drinks why not lime cordial and a dash of metho or diet coke and rubbing alcohol?

Who writes this shit?

Kids will do whatever neccessary to get high it's been proven by history , merely taking the poison from them will not deter them from experimenting

Raising the price of pre mixed drinks only made drinkers buy full bottles of alcohol instead , yes that would make drinking sensibly easier for the young heavy handed drinks pourer B)

I suppose we should email Today Tonite and tell them rose petals can get you high as well

Remember take the grog away and there's always petrol , take that away and there's jenkem B)

How low do you want to go :D

Edited by Mulcontent

There is some orchestrated talk that The Government is toying with the idea of exorcising vanilla and lemon essence from the supermarkets, because young people are drinking these instead of the now more expensive 'alcopops'. Seriously? Have you ever tried to get drunk on vanilla or lemon essence? For myself, I'd rather quaff bong-water, my own urine or sniff petrol than drink cooking essences.

Which young person – even one well and appreciably below average intelligence - is going to purchase bottles of essence to get drunk when there's cannabis? What explanations could be proffered by said young people for their essence excesses? “We're conducting a science experiment.” “I use it for colonic irrigation.”

When I was about their age I was getting plastered on the alcoholics' drink of choice: cheap port. I was also getting shit-faced on some of the best smoko I've ever had. I often recall the effect of that first sinsemella foil Gazbo and I sampled – that late afternoon of elderberry wine on the verandah, amid the aromatic tobacco smoke. There were even quality, real bargain-basement ports. 'Celebration Port' was one. Some barrels weren't labelled correctly and for less than two dollars you could drink yourself legless on a delicious port with sweet depth, gentle warmth and rich colour.

Admittedly, some alcoholics drink culinary flavourings but some also drink methylated spirits and sleep under bridges. If teenie-boppers are prepared to savour mixed essence drinks why not lime cordial and a dash of metho or diet coke and rubbing alcohol?

Who writes this shit?

You left out after shave Al. B) Everyday it just gets more and more crazy. Brandivino was my cheap choice .75c a bottle. Stones Green Ginger wine second. That was before I found mj. B)

Come to think of it brick50, when I was young I used to drink Brut33. Where would I be without Brut33? Then I got into the top-shelf stuff: Aramis900 and Grey Flannel. Great as mixers or just on their own. Everyday the world of horrors throws up something inane. I too have drunk many bottles of Stone's Green Ginger Wine and the odd bottle of Chinese cooking wine.

I guess freedom was always a mistake. We can't get rid of it quickly enough!

The alcopop tax didn't affect me until yesterday. I walked into the bottle shop and got 2 bottles of stones ginger beer, man that stuff is the pucker, and imagine my surprise when it cost me $10!! $10 for 2 bottles, that sux arse, lucky for me i have a homebrew kit and i will be endeavoring to make my own alcoholic ginger beer.

The whole alcopop thing is a stupid bungle. My little sister is 16 and on weekends she used to get a 4 pack of cruisers or whatever, have some drinks, get a little pissed and go home. But because of this spastic tax it costs nearly the same to get a cheap bottle of vodka (think paint stripper cheap) as it is to get premix. So now she gets a botttle of vodka and drinks it on the weekend, and she gets real pissed. Her life is starting to fall apart, grades are going down, broke up with her boyfriend. I think it is incredible that alcohol can have such a detrimental effect so quickly. Stupid government and silly little sister.