Batten Holder Wiring

I was trying to do brain surgery online, all was well until the prac..but the kids are wise to me now. They see me comming with the barrery drill and wont sit still...I wonder where you get them frames the professinal blokes use to make their patients sit still?...oh well...try something else.

rob

That cracked me up Rob. Very good. :yahoo: :applause:

I've had a bitch over similar brick, and was told they do it intentionally to stop amateurs from playing with their own wiring. But my uncle's been an alectrician all his life, almost ready to retire, and he was standing next to me and had a thing or two to say about the bloody inconvenience too :yahoo: .

So is the upshot that so long as you don't go poking the positive or active into an earth hole, you can't damage anything?

This is what I always thought, but I would be fucked without the instructions, and is something I've wondered about a fair bit.

I should phone my uncle, haven't called him for yonks...Every time I call he reckons he gets ulcers..."hey uncle, can I wire this to this, and hook that to it with this at the end?" kinda questions all the time lol.

cheers

rob

Sorry Rob. You musta posted while I was writing my response. lol

I can understand your uncle's grief over you calling him, my father cops the same thing from me a fair bit too! ^_^

Maybe you could do a theory course online Rose. :applause:

Yeah, that's one idea. :)

I was trying to do brain surgery online, all was well until the prac..but the kids are wise to me now. They see me comming with the barrery drill and wont sit still...I wonder where you get them frames the professinal blokes use to make their patients sit still?...oh well...try something else.

rob

lol Rob!

:yahoo:

~Rose.

for your light fitting.. see where the globe goes in to the actual fitting... you can then line the contacts up.. doesnt matter which one.. as long as a red goes to one and a black goes to the other...it just makes a difference as to how the switch works... i think..:applause:....youll have 2 holes left... one is earth.. and should clearly be marked as such... the other is the loop...

now in the roof.. youll have a whole bunch of red wires connecting... im pretty sure these are the active loop that connects the lights to the circuit... the single wire would be the active from the switch...

we do have some qualified sparky's around... maybe they might chime in.... might be best to wait and ask.. Mozz.. or Bufo...or billo.. i think are all sparky's.. :yahoo:

Yeah you got it SS Active and nuetral can be switched in a bayonet clip (old twist and pull type lamp)

batten holder like that, If it's an edison screw (srew out, not so popular anymore), you want the active

to be on the brass tab on the inside of the socket and not the thread youre screwing the bulb into.

Active is important in a fluoro or something where have an internal fuse that needs active to be broken.

Didn't quite get what brick was saying about the active and the loop being connected.

Edited by Token Jet

sweet, light is working great!

does anyone know how to set up a simple parallel circuit of lights? was something i probably learnt in highschool but using A/N/E cables has throw me off a bit in figuring it out

cheers

EDIT: nvm figured it out ty

Edited by krazim

Careful with the lectrickery..

Loop terminal is just like using a connector, it's isolated from all others.

Earth for earth.

The 2 pins in the centre like has been said, one is active, the other is neutral.

To switch a light, generally the active is broken. So looped actives or a single active supply one side of a switch. Other side goes to one of those centre terminals - as a 'switched active'.

The other centre terminal is still neutral.

Parallel is the looping of those same terminals on each light fitting.

Geta sparky best option :applause: